As part of UWM’s long-term strategic planning, several UWM schools and colleges are being realigned. The process is underway and will be effective July 1, 2023. Learn more about how the realignment will affect the Zilber School of Public Health.

Public Health is a rewarding career path with many opportunities to use your skills and passion to make the world and your community a healthier place for everyone.

Early planning is key to a successful transfer. Our advisors will ensure that your courses will transfer into our curriculum and also see how they fit into the sequencing of your classes. We’ll also help you understand the proper timing for applying to the public health major.

Scholarships are available for BSPH transfer students.

Complete your transfer paperwork by May 1st for priority scholarship consideration.

Requirements to Declare

Email to meet with a transfer advisor about declaring Public Health. 

Information Sessions

There are no upcoming events.

Preparatory coursework based on placement test scores. Math competency (placement score of 30+ or Math 105, Math 108 or Math 102 with “C” or higher).

Preparatory coursework based on placement test scores.  English competency (placement test or English 102 with “C” or higher).

Must have at least a “C-” in each Major Public Health course

Students who earn a D+ or lower in any public health major course required for graduation (54 credits) must repeat the course and earn at least a C-. Courses required for the BS in Public Health degree may be repeated only once. Students who twice earn a grade lower than these requirements will be dismissed from the public health major.

Submit an official transcript to the Registrar’s Office from each university you have attended. Once your credits are evaluated, they will appear on your UWM transcript in PAWS.

If you make an appointment to meet with the transfer advisor, you will need to submit unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended for unofficial evaluation.

Utilize the Transfer Equivalency Database (TED) to see transfer equivalencies that have been set up for specific schools. For specific questions regarding the transferability of courses not listed on these sites, contact the Registrar’s Office using their online form.

  • Meet with your academic advisor to understand how your transfer credits will be utilized within the required curriculum of your program. Your advisor may in turn consult with the appropriate faculty to determine the use of transfer credits within your track of study.

Students looking to transfer or change their major will first meet with our transfer advisor.

Once your transfer credit is posted to PAWS, schedule an academic advising appointment to learn what courses in which you will need to enroll.

How do I meet with my academic advisor?

Email or your assigned advisor listed on PAWS.

Do I need to take a foreign language?

If you have successfully completed two years of the same foreign language in high school, then you have completed the UWM/CON foreign language requirement. If you did not complete these two years or if English is your second language, see your advisor to discuss options for completing the UWM foreign language requirement. If you hold a prior degree or started your college coursework prior to Fall 1999, you are exempt from this requirement.

How many general education requirements do I need?

Social Inequality: 3 credits 

Art with CD: 3 credits

Commun 103: Public Speaking

Humanities: 3 credits

English 207: Health Science Writing

Political Science: 3 credits

Behavioral Science: 3 credits

Historical Perspectives: 3 credits

Natural Science w/ Lab: Bio Sci 102 preferred

Ethics: 3 credits

You can find a listing of courses that fulfill the above requirements here.

When should I transfer to the School of Public Health?

Many courses have specific sequencing; early transfer ensures you will stay on track with your graduation timeline.