Time to enjoy the beautiful Wisconsin parks!
Before you head out, make sure you pack the sunscreen and insect repellent!
Always put on the sunscreen first and then apply the
repellent. Get more tips for preventing tick bites:
UWM COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic
Schedule an Appointment
Use the button below to make a vaccination appointment at any Advocate Aurora Health facility. To schedule at appointment at the UWM clinic, enter 53211 as your ZIP code or search for Advocate Aurora Health COVID-19 Vaccine Center UW-Milwaukee.
Once you receive your first dose, an appointment for your second dose will be scheduled.
Vaccination is free of charge, as should be the case at any outlet administering the COVID-19 vaccine. The federal government is providing the vaccine for free to everyone living in the United States, regardless of their immigration or health insurance status.
Free parking is available in the UWM Student Union parking garage. Bring your parking ticket to the vaccination clinic, where it will be validated.
Job Opportunities for Students and Alumni
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH CAPACITY EVALUATOR – Madison, WI
This position is located in the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), Division of Public Health (DPH), Bureau of Environmental and Occupational Health (BEOH), Hazard Assessment Section and is maintained through a contract and ongoing partnership with the UW School of Medicine and Public Health’s Department of Population Health Sciences (PHS).
The evaluation specialist is responsible for developing, coordinating, and implementing program evaluation activities for DHS’ CDC-funded Environmental Health Capacity project. Through this project, DHS will improve Wisconsin’s ability to respond to environmental health hazards that limit access to healthy homes and safe drinking water and prevent successful natural disaster response and recovery. Through this project, DHS will build and strengthen partnerships with traditional and non-traditional health partners, identify factors contributing to hazard, and implement and evaluate interventions to identify, prevent, and control these hazards.
Application Deadline: July 12
SURVEY INTERVIEWERS – Madison, WI
Currently, we are managing a project that focuses on fish consumption among Asian women living in the Milwaukee area. We are finishing conducting small focus groups of 6-10 women from the Burmese, Chinese, Hmong and Filipino communities to understand the influence of culture, attitudes, and beliefs on fish consumption habits of women of childbearing age who eat locally-caught fish. Our objectives are to assess different factors that influence knowledge and awareness of risks and benefits of fish consumption. We will use the information we learn from the focus group to shape the development of a cross-sectional survey we are planning on conducting starting this fall with 200 additional women. The overall goal of this project is to develop culturally appropriate outreach and educational materials on how to eat fish safely for each of the targeted groups.
At this time we are identifying survey interviewers who can conduct the 1 hour phone survey interviews for the next phase of the project. I am wondering if you have anyone in mind or could help us find 2 female grad students who:
- Are native Mandarin speakers
- Have experience conducting phone survey interviews (desirable, but not required) or are comfortable reading a script to elicit answers via phone
- Have good attention-to-detail
- Are available the end of July 2021 through the end of August 2021 to participate in 4-5 survey interviewer trainings (up to 9 hours)
- *Note: payment will be provided at $40/hour for attending survey interview trainings
- Are available between September 2021-December 2021 to do 1 hour phone survey interviews with up to 50 Chinese women from the Milwaukee area
- *Note: 50 is the total number of participants needed, not per interviewer
- *Note: this may go longer if needed until the target number of 50 is reached, but can be addressed at a later time if the interviewers are still available
- *Note: interviewers will need to make initial contact with participants and either conduct interviews or schedule follow-up times and pursue participants until interviews are completed
- *Note: timing of actual interviews will need to be flexible based on participant availability, i.e. time of day and day of week
- *Note: payment will be provided at $50/hour for conducting phone survey interviews
- Have experience using REDCap (desirable, but not required)
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I am more than happy to talk by phone!
Amanda Haban, MPH