Dr. Paul Florsheim of the UWM Zilber School of Public Health has co-authored the book “Lost and Found: Young Fathers in the Age of Unwed Parenthood” with Dr. David Moore from the University of Puget Sound. The book will be published by Oxford University Press. It is currently available for pre-orders and will ship on January 1, 2020.
- Presents an understanding of family instability that challenges conventional wisdom about why many fathers are disconnected
- Uses fathers’ own words to describe their experiences, thereby engaging readers, humanizing the struggles of young fathers (and their partners), and challenging stereotypes
- Includes the voices of young mothers to convey a balanced, dynamic, and credible view of fathers and fatherhood
- Draws from a wide body of scholarship, from evolutionary biology to the economics of women’s rights, to explain how young fathers came to occupy such a precarious position in contemporary society
- Offers a strategic solution to the problems-posed by young unwed fathers and mothers-that focuses on reformulating prenatal healthcare to include the expectant father