- Visiting Associate Professor, Epidemiology
PhD, Public Health Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL.
MBA, University of Chicago, Booth School of Business, Chicago, IL.
MD, University of Leicester, Leicester, England, UK.
MBBS, University of the West Indies Medical School, Mona, Kingston, Jamaica, WI.
Dr. Dookeran is a Real-World Data Scientist, life-sciences entrepreneur, academic physician/ epidemiologist (MD, PhD), former Surgical Oncologist, and epidemiology faculty at Zilber School. Dr. Dookeran has more than 20 years’ experience in epidemiology consulting, and academic research and education, with expertise in cancer, health disparities, advanced data analysis methods, health services and policy, and perinatal and global health. Courses taught at Zilber School: PH 101 - Introduction to Public Health; PH 410 - True Lies, Consuming & Communicating Quantitative Information; PH 704 - Principles and Methods of Epidemiology; PH 759 - Intro to Regression for Understanding the Social Determinants of Health; PH 804 - Advanced Epidemiology Methods; and PH 904 - Survey of Analytic Methods for Epidemiology.
- Dookeran KA, Groh JM, Ritacco DG, Marcus LR, Wang Y, Khan JY. An assessment of prevalence and expenditure associated with discharge brain MRI in preterm infants. PLoS One. 2021 Mar 5;16(3):e0247857. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0247857. PMID: 33667251; PMCID: PMC7935297. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0247857
- Marcus L, Dookeran KA. Mediation of black/white disparities in triple negative breast cancer by socioeconomic position, reproductive factors and diabetes in the Nurses’ Health Study Cohorts I & II. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020;38(15_suppl):1565-1565. https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2020.38.15_suppl.1565.
- Khan JY, Dookeran KA. Maternal History of Neonatal Death as an Emerging Risk Factor of Subsequent Neonatal Mortality in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. JAMA Network Open. 2020;3(4):e202972-e202972. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2764576
- Dookeran KA, Zhang W, Stayner L, Argos M. Associations of two-pore domain potassium channels and triple negative breast cancer subtype in The Cancer Genome Atlas: systematic evaluation of gene expression and methylation. BMC research notes. 2017;10(1):475. doi: 10.1186/s13104-017-2777-4. https://bmcresnotes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13104-017-2777-4
- Shah MD, Dookeran KA, Khan JY. Clinical Outcomes Associated with a Failed Infant Car Seat Challenge. The Journal of pediatrics. 2017;180:130-134. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2016.09.072.
- Dookeran KA, Silva A, Warnecke RB, Rauscher GH. Race/Ethnicity and Disparities in Mastectomy Practice in the Breast Cancer Care in Chicago Study. Annals of surgical oncology. 2015;22:66-74. doi: 10.1245/s10434-014-3945-6.
- Smith CE, Fullerton SM, Dookeran KA, et al. Using Genetic Technologies To Reduce, Rather Than Widen, Health Disparities. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2016;35(8):1367-1373. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1476. https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1476
- Dookeran KA, Dignam JJ, Holloway N, et al. Race and the prognostic influence of p53 in women with breast cancer. Annals of surgical oncology. 2012;19(7):2334-2344. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-1934-6.