Declare your Major or Minor

Students wishing to declare a political science major may do so in one of two ways:

In Person with an Advisor

  1. Obtain an unofficial transcript from Enrollment Services (MEL 274) or print one from your PAWS account.
  2. Fill out the “Declaration of Major” form or “Declaration of Minor” form, which can be found in Bolton 614.
  3. Schedule a meeting with one of the political science advisors (see Undergraduate Advising to email or call to schedule an appointment).
  4. Meet with an advisor, determine your course plan, and declare your major or minor.

Majors should also consult with an L&S advisor about general education and college requirements. The Political Science advisors are not trained to help you with those requirements. They can be reached at (414) 229-4654 or in Holton Hall 142.


Students may also declare a Political Science major or minor via e-mail.

  1. Complete the Major Declaration form or the Minor Declaration form and e-mail it to
  2. You will receive an email reply from the Director of Undergraduate Studies (Professor Ascher, confirming your declaration and providing you with advising as to which requirements for the major or minor that you’ve met and which you still need to meet.
  3. Pending sufficient credits, Professor Ascher will file the declaration form on your behalf with the College of Letters and Sciences. Please allow three to four weeks for processing online declaration requests. At that time, the major or minor should appear on your PAWS account.

NOTE: Students who have opted to restrict the release of their directory information at UWM should not utilize the online process for declaring majors or minors.

The College of Letters and Science encourages students to declare a major well before completing 75 credits so that we can direct you on an efficient path to a BA degree. Political Science advisors are available for meetings and L&S advisors can help you with questions about General Education requirements. And, you should consider Honors and High Honors in the major, as well as membership in Pi Sigma Alpha, our Political Science Honor Society, if you are eligible.