Accelerated 3-2 Political Science BA/MPA

The accelerated Political Science Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree in Public Administration offers high-achieving students the opportunity to earn both degrees in five years instead of six years if each was done separately.

Students in the program receive both a broad liberal arts education and a clearly defined set of skills that will enable them to work as professional administrators at all levels of government upon graduation.

Real-world public workforce experience is a hallmark of our program with students interning in many different areas of government throughout the area. The program’s curriculum which is focused on the skills needed to be successful public administrators coupled with actual work experience, gives students the broadest possible exposure to the concept of public service and makes them optimally marketable for local, state, and federal government jobs. Jobs such as city manager, city clerk, budget analyst, management analys, economic development official, and government consultants are opening up more frequently due to retirements and are known for being stable with good income and benefits.

Declaring a Major in the Accelerated Program

Students wishing to declare a political science major as part of the accelerated program may do so in one of the two ways outlined below. Meeting with your political science advisor and your Letters & Science advisor very early in your college career is essential to completing the accelerated program in five years. Ideally, students should plan their schedule with an advisor during freshman year. Students who wait too late are likely to find that they have not chosen the correct courses to complete in five years.

Declare Your Political Science Major with an Advisor

In order to declare a political science major, just follow these simple steps:

  1. Obtain an unofficial transcript from Enrollment Services (MEL 274) or print one from your PAWS account.
  2. Fill out the “Declaration of Major” form, which can be found in Bolton 614.
  3. Schedule a meeting with one of the political science advisors (see Undergraduate Advising Hours to email or call to schedule an appointment).
  4. Meet with an advisor, determine your course plan, and declare your major.
  5. You should also consult with an L&S advisor about general education and college requirements. The Political Science advisors are not trained to help you with those requirements. They can be reached at (414) 229-4654 in Holton Hall 142.

Declare Your Political Science Major Online

Students may also declare a Pol Sci major via e-mail. To do so, you must complete a Declaration of Major Form (pdf) and e-mail it to An undergraduate advisor will consult your transcript and, pending sufficient credits, will file a declaration of major form with the College of Letters & Science.

Please allow three to four weeks for processing online declaration requests. We will not send a confirmation e-mail when we have processed your application. Thus, if you do not see a declared Pol Sci major reflected in your records on PAWS within three to four weeks, please contact an undergraduate Pol Sci advisor (see Undergraduate Advising Hours).

Also, if you have any questions regarding coursework for the Pol Sci major, you will need to visit with one of the Pol Sci undergraduate advisors during their designated office hours or by appointment. We will not conduct advising appointments via e-mail. You should also consult with an L&S advisor about general education and college requirements. They can be reached at (414) 229-4654 in Merrill Hall 142.

Students who have opted to restrict the release of their directory information at UWM should not utilize the online process for declaring a political science major.