Tax information

Tuition Tax Credits and Deductions – Form 1098-T

The Internal Revenue Service Form 1098-T is available annually for the most recent tax year ending December 31. The 2018 Form 1098-T will not be available online this year. 2018 Form 1098-T will be mailed to your student account home address by January 31, 2019.

2018 Form 1098-T shows the total amounts paid for qualified tuition and fees during 2018. You will need this form to claim educational expense tax credits. Students may view financial activity including payment details from PAWS Student Center (Home page) Finances section.

Important UWM related information on Form 1098-T includes:

  • Box 1. Total payments received by UW-Milwaukee in 2018 from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during 2018 that relate to those payments received during 2018.
  • Box 3. This box will be checked on 2018 Form 1098-T because UW-Milwaukee changed its method of reporting from amounts billed (prior years) to amounts paid.
  • Box 4. Adjustment made by UW-Milwaukee for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T.
  • Box 5. Total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by UW-Milwaukee.
  • Box 6. Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year.
  • Box 7. This box will be checked if Box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March 2019.
  • Box 8. This box will be checked if you are considered to be carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for your course of study at UW-Milwaukee.

    Prior to tax year 2018, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee reported the total amounts of qualified tuition and fees billed during the relevant tax year in Box 2 of Form 1098-T. Beginning with tax year 2018, we will no longer report total amounts billed for qualified tuition and fees. The total amount of payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from all sources will be reported in Box 1.

    The staff at UW-Milwaukee is unable to provide individual tax advice. Please consult a tax attorney, informed tax preparer or adviser if you have specific questions related to tax preparation.

    Please contact the Cashier’s Office if you have questions concerning the amounts on your 2018 Form 1098-T.
    Telephone (414) 229-4601

    IRS Helpful Links
    IRS Education Tax Credits
    IRS Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?