If you accept a loan, and are borrowing for the first-time, you will need to complete both a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling.
All requirements for completing promissory notes and loan counseling for Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized, Parent PLUS, and Grad PLUS are completed online at https://studentloans.gov.
- Use the same FSA ID you used to sign the FAFSA. If you have forgotten it, you can get help via the FSA ID Frequently Asked Questions.
- A loan with a Master Promissory Note (MPN) allows more than one year of loans to be disbursed under a single application.
- You are not required to accept the full amount that you are offered.
- You should access your PAWS account to accept/reduce/or decline the offer.
- While a MPN is only required once, parents borrowing a Parent PLUS and Graduate Students borrowing a Grad PLUS must complete the PLUS Request each year online at http://studentloans.gov.
For more information on completing promissory notes and entrance counseling for all types of loans, please review Promissory Notes.
Federal Perkins MPN and Nursing Loan Promissory Note
- Perkins and Nursing loans are not considered Direct Loans and have their own promissory notes.
- Nursing Loan borrowers are required to complete a new MPN each year. If you are offered a Nursing Loan, you will see details on this process by selecting on the Award in your PAWS Self Service.