If you accept a loan, and are borrowing for the first-time, you will need to complete both a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling.
All requirements for completing promissory notes and loan counseling for Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized, Parent PLUS, and Grad PLUS are completed online at studentaid.gov.
- Use the same FSA ID Username you used to sign the FAFSA. If you have forgotten it, you can get help via the FSA ID Frequently Asked Questions.
- A loan with a Master Promissory Note (MPN) allows more than one year of loans to be disbursed under a single application.
- You are not required to accept the full amount that you are offered.
- You should access your PAWS account to accept/reduce/or decline the offer.
- While a MPN is only required once, parents borrowing a Parent PLUS and Graduate Students borrowing a Grad PLUS must complete the PLUS Request each year online at studentaid.gov.
For more information on completing promissory notes and entrance counseling for all types of loans, please review Promissory Notes.
Nursing Loan Promissory Note
- Nursing loans are not considered Direct Loans and have their own promissory notes.
- Nursing Loan borrowers are required to complete a new MPN each year. If you are offered a Nursing Loan, you will see details on this process by selecting on the Award in your PAWS Self Service.