Eligibility to Enroll

It is important to know in advance if you are eligible to enroll.  Class seats can fill up quickly once enrollment begins, so it’s best to plan ahead, be aware, and take care of any steps in advance of your enrollment time.

Knowing Your Status
There are generally three types of students who are eligible to enroll at UWM:

  1. Continuing students are students who completed the preceding term in good or probationary academic standing, including those who withdrew from the preceding term.  Continuing students are automatically eligible to enroll in upcoming semesters.  Once students apply to graduate and earn a degree in a semester, they are no longer considered continuing and must be re-admitted into a new degree or non-degree program to be eligible for further enrollment.
  2. Re-entry students are students who have not enrolled at UWM for two consecutive fall/spring terms, or more, but did not earn a degree in their last semester of enrollment.  Re-entry students must be readmitted to UWM prior to becoming eligible to enroll.
  3. New students are students who are newly admitted to a degree or non-degree program at UWM.  New freshmen students are required to initially enroll during New Student Orientation.  New transfer students are required to pay a confirmation deposit prior to becoming eligible to enroll.
Verifying Your Eligibility
You can use PAWS to check your eligibility to enroll.  Items to check include:

  • Holds – View this section in the upper right hand corner of your PAWS Student Center.  You will have a hold that prevents enrollment if you owe money or are required to see an advisor prior to adding classes.  Click on the details link to view additional information about any holds that appear on your record.
  • To Do List – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  Undergraduate applicants can check their To Do List for important information related to their admission status.
  • Term Activation – Click on the Enroll link that appears in the Academics section of your PAWS Student Center to view current and upcoming terms for which you have been activated.  Please note that the Registrar’s Office starts activating students in April for the upcoming fall term, October for the upcoming UWinteriM term, November for the upcoming spring term, and March for the upcoming summer term.
  • Enrollment Appointment – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  The day/time that’s listed indicates the point at which you can begin enrolling in classes for the specified term.

You can only enroll while the term is open, following this general schedule:

  • Fall term opens in April
  • UWinteriM opens in October
  • Spring term opens in November
  • Summer term opens in March/April
Enrollment Appointments
An Enrollment Appointment is the first day and time that you’re able to enroll in classes for the next term.

All active students, except new freshmen, are assigned an Enrollment Appointment.  Your Enrollment Appointment date and time will appear in your PAWS account roughly one week before enrollment begins. Look in your PAWS Student Center under Enrollment Dates.  

New transfer students will receive an Enrollment Appointment once their transfer work posts to their PAWS account. New Freshmen enroll either during New Student Orientation or with their Academic Advisor and do not receive an Enrollment Appointment.

Enrollment Appointments are scheduled in the following order as established by UWM Faculty Policy.  Military Service students receive priority through Wisconsin Act 56 (2013).

Students from the following groups enroll in the first enrollment appointment time slot, regardless of career or academic level:

  • Honors College
  • NCAA (including Dance/Cheer Team)
  • Military Service (including ROTC)
  • Select Accessibility Resource Center students

Following the priority groups listed above, the enrollment appointments as assigned by career (graduate vs. undergraduate) and academic level within the career.

Graduate Students:

  1. Graduate Dissertator & Prelim students
  2. Degree-Seeking Graduate students
  3. Non-Degree Graduate students

Undergraduate Students:

  1. Degree-Seeking Seniors
  2. Degree-Seeking Juniors
  3. Degree-Seeking Sophomores
  4. Degree-Seeking Freshmen
  5. Non-Degree Undergraduate students (including Post-Baccalaureate & Certificate)
  6. 60+ Auditor students (eligible to enroll the first day of classes)
Enrollment Holds
If you have a hold on your PAWS account, you might not be able to add classes. Holds could also prevent you from receiving a diploma or having your transcripts released. To view your holds, log in to PAWS and review the items under the Holds header.

You can click the blue details link to view a full list of your holds. Click on the name of the hold in blue to read the instructions for removal. If you have trouble understanding your next steps, you will also find contact information for the department that placed the hold so that you can ask for help.

If you have trouble finding your holds, or if you have general questions about holds, you can contact the Help Desk at (414) 229-4040 or toll free at (877) 381-3459.

Many courses have prerequisites that you are expected to satisfy prior to enrollment. Typical examples include a certain year in school (“Junior Standing”), other specific courses (“Physics 201”), a particular placement test score, admission to a particular major, or consent of the instructor.

Instructors have the right to enforce prerequisite requirements and may deny or permit enrollment accordingly.

Certain courses cannot be taken out of sequence. You can always check the prerequisites of a course ahead of time to find out if you’ll lose credit for taking a course out of sequence.

If you do not meet the prerequisites for a specific course but feel that you are academically prepared to take the course anyway, you can request permission from the course instructor or department. Generally, if you do not meet prerequisites for a class you will not be able to enroll yourself in it using PAWS. In this case, you will receive an error message stating that consent or permission is required.

If you do not meet a course prerequisite but have been able to enroll anyway, you may be administratively dropped from the course or you may be required to drop the course.

  • Drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. It is the student’s responsibility to drop any classes for which they do not meet published prerequisites.
  • Do not wait for the department to complete an administrative drop, as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class in PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

If a course requires one or more prerequisites, details are listed in the notes section in the Schedule of Classes or under the class description in PAWS.

Prerequisite Abbreviations
(P) Prerequisite A course in which a student is required to earn credit prior to being allowed to enroll in a subsequent higher-level course.
(NP) Non-repeatable Prerequisite A prerequisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course.
(C) Co-requisite A course which may be taken as either a prerequisite or as a concurrent registration with the higher-level course.
(NC) Non-repeatable Co-requisite A co-requisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course
(R) Recommended Course A course which the instructor strongly recommends be taken prior to enrollment in a subsequent course.
(ER) Enrollment Restriction A course which is not open for enrollment to students that have earned credits in a specified course (or courses) with similar or overlapping content.
Course Placement

Although many courses are open to freshmen and all other students, core courses in the areas of English and Math require a placement that serves as your starting point in the course sequence.  Placement is also available in Foreign Language and Chemistry.  Your placement is typically determined by scores on placement exams and other standardized tests, like ACT, or prior college credit that you earned in the subject area at another institution or through advanced standing exams, like AP or IB.

Math Course Placement by Major

Regardless of your major, all UWM students need to satisfy a general education requirement in mathematics. The math course(s) required to attain your degree vary by major.

For entering freshmen, math placement is determined based on a combination of UWM’s math placement test results and your ACT math subscore. Transfer students’ placement for math can be determined from transferred math courses or from our math placement tests and ACT scores (if they’ve been submitted to UWM).

The Math Department maintains information on Math Placement levels and codes here.

No matter where you’ve placed on UWM math placement test, if the math subscore of your ACT is an 18 or higher, you qualify for credit-bearing math courses (Math 103 and Math 111/Philos 111) that are appropriate for some majors. If your major does not include coursework that would require a higher level of math proficiency then you will not need to take a non-credit math class — you will be able to enroll in Math 103 or Math 111/Philos 111 due to your ACT math subscore.  It is always a good idea to discuss your academic plans with a School/College advisor.

Majors whose math requirement is satisfied by Math 103 or Math 111/Philos 111
  • Africology
  • Anthropology
  • Art
  • Art Education
  • Art History
  • Classics
  • Communication
  • Comparative Literature
  • Criminal Justice
  • Dance
  • English
  • Film
  • Film Studies
  • French
  • German
  • Global Studies (tracks other than Global Management)
  • History
  • Information Science and Technology
  • Inter Arts
  • International Studies
  • Italian
  • Jewish Studies
  • Journalism, Advertising, and Media Studies
  • Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies
  • Linguistics
  • Music
  • Music Education
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology (BA)
  • Religious Studies
  • Russian
  • Social Work
  • Sociology
  • Spanish
  • Theatre
  • Women’s Studies
Placement Tests Offered

The UW-Milwaukee Testing Center offers placement testing in math, English (native & non-native speakers), foreign language (Japanese, French, German, Spanish), and chemistry. Placement tests are designed to determine which classes you are eligible to register for in a given subject area. They do not affect your admission status. See descriptions below for more information on each test.

Register for placement tests at testregistration.uwm.edu.  New freshmen must register for a New Freshmen Placement Testing session.  Additional information below.

Upon completion, placement test score results are loaded to your record in PAWS and milestones indicating your placement level in corresponding courses are created.  You can view placement records by selecting “Placement Tests” in the drop-down in the Academics section of your PAWS account.  Placement levels are determined by the academic department affiliated with the exam and are reviewed annually. New Freshmen do not receive their placement test results until they attend their New Student Orientation session.

Math Placement Test

The Mathematics Placement Test consists of 85 items measuring three different sets of skills: Math Fundamentals, Advanced Algebra, and Trigonometry & Analytic Geometry. The test is 90 minutes. Students are allowed to bring and use a scientific calculator; however calculators often will not be provided at the test site. Graphing calculators may not be used and will not be permitted in the testing room. Only non graphing, non programmable calculators are permitted for use on this test.

English Placement Test - Native Speakers

The English Placement Test consists of three subtests. These subtests are English Usage, Sentence Correction, and Reading Comprehension. The English Placement Test is is 90 minutes long.

English Placement Test - Non-Native Speakers

If you grew up speaking a language other than English, you should take this test. As a non-native writer of English, you can complete your English writing requirement by taking English for Academic Purposes (EAP) writing courses instead of the English writing courses designed for native speakers of English. The support provided in the EAP writing courses can also help you do better in all of your university courses.

For more information on the EPT-NNSE, contact Brooke Haley at HaleyB@uwm.edu or visit her office in Curtin Hall 678.

Note: This test is only offered at UW-Milwaukee and is not available at Regional Placement Testing or through computer-based placement testing. The test is administered at UW-Milwaukee on computer via a program called Accuplacer. There are two sections for this exam: reading and writing. Please allow approximately 90 minutes to complete the exam.

Foreign Language Placement Test

If you plan on enrolling in a French, German or Spanish course, you are required to take the appropriate foreign language test. Students placing into certain foreign language courses may be eligible for retro-credits upon completion of that UWM course. These tests are 60 minutes.

UW-Milwaukee has a General Education Requirement for foreign language. If you have met this requirement then foreign language placement testing is optional. If you plan to continue your studies in French, German or Spanish you should take the foreign language placement test. Students planning to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree through the College of Letters and Science may be required to complete foreign language coursework beyond the University’s General Education Requirement.  Please check the list of majors that fall under the B.A. requirements to determine if you need to take the foreign language placement test. Click here for more information on the Bachelor of Arts degree requirements. It is recommended that students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Letters and Science consider taking a foreign language placement exam in the language they studied in high school.

If you studied a language in high school for which a standardized placement test is not offered at our testing center, a language other than Spanish, French, German or Japanese, and you wish to continue your study of that language; you should contact that department directly for information on how to place higher than the level one introduction course. UW-Milwaukee offers language study in American Sign Language (ASL), Arabic, Chinese, Classics (Latin/Greek), German, French, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish/Scandinavian.

Chemistry Placement Test

If you are a non-science major, you will not need to complete the chemistry placement test. If you plan to major in the sciences, health sciences, nursing, or engineering and your major appears on the list of majors referenced below, you are only required to complete the chemistry test if you want to try to test out of the first level of chemistry (Chemistry 100). If you plan to start in the first level of chemistry, you are not required to complete the chemistry test. If you would like to start your chemistry studies above Chemistry 100 in Chemistry 101, 102, or 105, you must place sufficiently in the chemistry and math tests. Please check the list of majors below for those that require the chemistry exam to test out of the first level of chemistry. Student preparation for this test is assumed to include at least one full year of high school chemistry and one full year of high school algebra.

There are three parts to the test: Part I General Mathematics; Part II General Chemical Knowledge; Part III Specific Chemical Knowledge. This test is 55 minutes. Non graphing, non-programmable calculators are permitted for use on this test. Please note that chemistry placement testing is unique to UW-Milwaukee and is not offered via Regional testing or computer-based testing.

Majors Requiring Chemistry Placement Test

Below is a list of majors, by school/college, that require the Chemistry Placement Test in order to place into the second level of Chemistry.

College of Health Sciences
BioMedical Sciences (BioMedical Sciences, Cytotechnology, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Sciences, Public Health Microbiology, Radiologic Technology)*

*Includes all sub-majors

College of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Engineering Science
Engineering Undecided
Industrial Engineering
Materials Engineering
Mechanical Engineering

College of Letters and Science
Atmospheric Science
Biological Sciences
Conservation & Environmental Sciences
Geological Sciences
Pre-Health Professions
Pre-Physician Assistant
Pre-Veterinary Medicine

College of Nursing

Japanese Placement Test

This test will determine placement into the appropriate Japanese course. The test lasts 65 minutes. A referral from the Japanese department is required to determine which level test you should complete. For more information on the Japanese test contact Masako Lackey (Lackey@UWM.edu) or visit the Foreign Language and Linguistics site. Once the Japanese Department has determined which semester you should test for, you will need to complete a Japanese Placement Request in our UWM Online Test Registration.

Once the Testing Center approves this request, you will be able to register to complete the exam any time Correspondence Paper Based testing is offered. Please see our testing calendar for more information on test dates or to fill out a request. An approved request and appointment are required to take this exam.

New Freshmen Placement Testing


Once you’re admitted as a new freshman, your next step is to schedule an appointment for New Freshman Placement Testing. These tests are designed to place you in the most appropriate college level courses. Testing must be completed before you can register for New Student Orientation which is where you will sign up for classes. New Student Orientation for freshmen beginning in the winter/spring of 2019 will be on Wednesday, 1/9/19. Orientation is mandatory and is all day on campus so please be sure to mark your calendar now. You will not be able to register for your orientation date until you complete your placement tests, pay your $150 confirmation deposit and submit your housing paperwork so be sure to test as soon as you can so you can register for orientation.

It is important to take your placement tests seriously as placement in the proper courses will enable to proceed through your required coursework more efficiently which can save you time and money. We strongly suggest that you review the topics covered in the exams so that you feel prepared on the day of your test. In the Placement Tests Offered section above, you will find descriptions of the various placement tests along with useful information on test preparation.

Completing your placements tests is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

  1. Determine which placement tests you need to complete
    All freshmen will be automatically registered for math and English* when they register for a test session as those two tests are mandatory for every new freshmen. See the FAQ section below to determine if you need to complete any of the additional placement tests in foreign language or chemistry.
    *If you grew up speaking a language other than English, English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English is offered during the English placement test at UWM on New Freshman Testing dates. If you have any questions about our English for Non-Native Speakers program, please contact Brooke Haley at HaleyB@uwm.edu.
  2. Register for your tests
    For winter/spring admits, placement testing is offered at the UW-Milwaukee Testing Center. To register for placement testing, you will need to visit edu/testregistration and log in with your UWM epanther ID and password. If you have not done so already, you must activate your ePanther ID credentials at epantherid.uwm.edu before registering for placement testing.
    Placement testing for winter/spring 2019 will be offered at UWM’s testing center at 9am (8:30am check in) on the following dates: 11/8/18, 11/29/18, 12/6/18, 12/13/18, 1/4/19. You must register for testing in advance. Space is limited so be sure to register for the earliest date you are available.
  3. Attend your test session
    Arrive early to your test session for check in and be sure to bring a photo ID and non-graphing calculator.

    Preparing for Your Placement TestsTo gain a sense of what to expect on your placement tests and review key concepts that will be covered, you can view test descriptions and sample test questions by scrolling up and clicking on the Placement Tests Offered link above the New Freshman Placement Testing link.

Placement Test FAQ
How do I know which tests I need to schedule?

All freshmen are required to complete placement testing in math and English. You will automatically be signed up for both of these tests when you register. Optional testing is available in chemistry, foreign language, and English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE).

If you are a non-science major, you will not need to complete the chemistry placement test. If you plan to major in the sciences, health sciences, nursing, or engineering and your major appears on the list of majors referenced below, you are only required to complete the chemistry test if you want to try to test out of the first level of chemistry (Chemistry 100). If you plan to start in the first level of chemistry, you are not required to complete the chemistry test. If you would like to start your chemistry studies above Chemistry 100 in Chemistry 101, 102, or 105, you must place sufficiently in the chemistry and math tests. Please check the list of majors for those that require the chemistry exam to test out of the first level of chemistry. Student preparation for this test is assumed to include at least one full year of high school chemistry and one full year of high school algebra. Please note that chemistry placement testing is unique to UW-Milwaukee and is not offered via Regional testing or computer-based testing.

UW-Milwaukee has a General Education Requirement for foreign language. Under UWM’s general education requirements, all undergraduate students must take the equivalent of 1 year of college-level foreign language instruction in the same language in order to earn an undergraduate degree. This requirement can be met in a number of ways, such as having studied two years of the same language in high school, taking two semesters of the same language at UWM, or placing in a higher level foreign language class at UWM and earning retro credits for preceding courses. Some degrees, however, have greater foreign language requirements. For example, all of the Bachelor of Arts programs in the College of Letters and Science require, at a minimum, the equivalent of four semesters of the same language or three semesters of one language and two semesters of another. Please click here for more information on the Bachelor of Arts degree requirements. It is recommended that students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Letters and Science consider taking a foreign language placement exam in the language they studied in high school.

If you have met this requirement then foreign language placement testing is optional. If you plan to continue your studies in French, German or Spanish you should take the foreign language placement test. Please note that students placing out of the first semester of a language course may be eligible for retro-credits upon completion of that UWM course. For example, if you place into the third semester of a foreign language and complete that course with a grade of B or better, you may be eligible to also get credit for semesters one and two of that language.

English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English is available at our UWM New Freshman placement testing sessions. Please see the information further down the page regarding ESL testing for more information.

What is the difference between testing at UW-Milwaukee’s New Freshman Placement testing or at Regional Testing?

If you test at UW-Milwaukee during New Freshman Placement Testing, you will hear from representatives from Testing and Orientation, have your questions answers by a financial aid representative, and move forward in the enrollment process more quickly. English, math, foreign language, chemistry, and English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE) tests are offered at UW Milwaukee. These designated test dates are open only to students admitted to UW-Milwaukee.

Testing at a Regional location, including dates that UWM hosts Regional testing, will allow you to take the UW-System placement tests at a site and/or date that is more convenient for you. Regional testing is open to students admitted to any UW school. Placement testing is available at several UW campuses and in the Twin Cities (Washburn HS) and Chicago (College of DuPage) on several weekends during the spring and summer. Registration for regional testing begins February 1st. English, math and foreign language are available through Regional testing. The chemistry and English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE) tests are not offered during Regional testing, which includes UW-Milwaukee’s Regional dates. The chemistry test and English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE) are only offered at UW-Milwaukee on non-regional test dates.

Please Note: UW-Milwaukee will host regional testing but will not offer the chemistry tests or English Placement Testing for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE) on those dates. UW-Milwaukee students are welcome to test on these days but will only be able to complete the tests offered on those days which include math, English, and foreign language.

It is important to note that it takes UW-Milwaukee 2-3 weeks to receive test results from regional testing sessions, including regional testing held at UW-Milwaukee. Because you are required to have test results on file prior to registering for your New Student Orientation date, you will be able to register for orientation sooner if you test at UWM on our New Freshman placement testing dates.

Why is the chemistry test only offered at UW-Milwaukee on non-regional test dates?

The chemistry placement test is unique to UW-Milwaukee and is not required at any other university. Because of this, it is only offered at UW-Milwaukee on the New Freshman Placement dates that are only open to UW-Milwaukee students.

What if English is not my first language?

We offer an English Placement Test for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE). If you grew up speaking a language other than English, you should take this test. As a non-native writer of English, you can complete your English writing requirement by taking English for Academic Purposes (EAP) writing courses instead of the writing courses designed for native speakers of English. The support provided in the EAP writing courses can also help you do better in all of your university courses. The test is administered on computer via a program called Accuplacer. There are two sections for this exam: reading and writing. Please allow approximately 90 minutes to complete the exam.

This test can be taken in place of the English placement test for native speakers and is offered at each of our UWM new freshmen testing sessions. If you register for a UWM new freshman testing session, you will not need a separate registration for this test. You can complete the English Placement Test for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT-NNSE) at any UWM New Freshman placement testing date. This test is not offered at regional testing sessions (including regional testing dates at UWM) or via computer based testing. If you have questions about our program for non-native speakers of English, please contact Brooke Haley at HaleyB@uwm.edu.

I live out of state; what are my best testing options?

We understand that living far from Milwaukee can make attending testing and New Student Orientation more difficult so we have outlined some options below.

  1. If you live near a UW school, Chicago, or Minneapolis, you can register for one of the free paper-based regional testing sessions at these locations. Testing locations outside of Wisconsin and near the state borders fill up quickly so please visit testing.wisc.edu as soon as possible to register for a testing date.
  2. You can register to take the placement tests via computer at a testing center near your home. Testing sites are located across the country and around the globe. The fee for computer based testing is $80-100. For more information on computer-based testing or to register please visit testing.wisc.edu.
  3. You are always welcome to join us at UWM for one of our New Freshman Placement dates. You can take some time to visit campus, check out the city and meet with faculty or advisors in your area of study! 
What is the difference between paper based testing (PBT) and computer based testing (CBT)?

The paper and computer based tests are the same tests that are administered in a different format. The choice of how you complete your exams is yours based on your preference of exam format, location, cost, and convenience. The questions are the same, they are presented in the same order, and the timing is the same. The format of the questions may be slightly different as required for display on a computer screen, but we have done our best to make them appear as similar as possible. You will be allowed to bring your own non-graphing calculator regardless of whether you take the test on paper or on a computer, but the computer based version will also offer an on-screen scientific calculator for use during the math exam. Scores will be reported to campuses in the same way for paper and computer based tests. Computer based tests are only administered at designated computer testing centers (not at home or remotely) and require registration and payment.

Will I see my results immediately if I take the test on the computer?

No. After your exams are completed, they will be transmitted to the UW System Center for Placement Testing and then to UW Milwaukee. It takes 2-3 weeks for UW-Milwaukee to receive test results completed via computer-based testing. You will receive your results at your New Student Orientation.

Will a confirmation be sent to me once I sign up?

All confirmations are sent via email; we do not send any confirmation letters by mail. If you are registering for UWM New Freshman Placement testing and included an email address on your UWM application, you will be sent a confirmation email to the email address you listed on your application. If you are registering for Regional or computer based testing and include an email address in your registration, you will be sent a confirmation email to the email address you used to register.

What do I need to bring with me on the day of testing?
  • Photo Identification
  • #2 pencils
  • Non-graphing calculator
  • Your Campus ID Number (located in your testing letter)
Where should I park?

The Union parking structure is the closest public parking option to all testing locations at UW-Milwaukee. It is located at 2200 E Kenwood Blvd. Cost is $2.00/hour for the initial 2 hours; $1/hour thereafter, and payment is made when exiting the structure. Mellencamp Hall is located next door (east) of the Union, and Bolton Hall is behind the Union. Please note that Bolton Hall does not face the street. Drop off/pick up for Bolton Hall is available in front of the Union.

Other public parking lots and garages are available around campus. Some require pre-payment for parking upon entry. Please visit UWM.edu/Parking for additional parking options.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you check your test registration and/or email confirmation to verify your testing location. Testing locations vary by date. Please ensure that you allow enough time to find your test location if you are getting dropped off, or allow extra time if you need to park your car and walk to your testing room. Late arrivals will not be admitted to testing rooms.

***Please be aware that parking structures on campus may fill so allow extra time for parking in case your first choice for parking is not available.***

Parking payment can be made via cash or card. There is no limit for the length of time you may park in the parking structures however street parking time is limited. Please note that once testing starts, you will not be allowed to leave the room to move your car or plug a parking meter so do not park on the street.

Please heed posted parking restrictions. Some parking spaces and lots are reserved for faculty, staff, students or other university personnel. Parking enforcement on campus is very strict, and parking tickets are issued regularly.

What is the agenda for the day?

Please refer to your test confirmation for your check in time and testing location.

Agenda for UWM New Freshman Placement Testing (not Regional or computer based testing):

  • Check-in and room assignments (check in times vary by date, please check your confirmation email)
  • Math test (90 min)
  • Announcements and Break (10 min)
  • English test (90 min) – options for both native and non-native speakers
  • Information from Financial Aid, New Student Orientation, and Housing
  • Break (30 minutes) for those completing additional tests or dismissal for others
  • Foreign language (60 min)
  • Chemistry (55 min) Only offered at UW-Milwaukee on non-regional test dates

Approximate test completion times:

  • 12:30pm Students completing math and English only
  • 2:15pm Students completing one optional placement test
  • 3:15pm Students completing two optional placement tests

Agendas for Regional testing and computer based testing can be found at testing.wisc.edu

Are there places to eat on break?

The UW Milwaukee Student Union has multiple food options. Vending machines are located in all buildings. You may want to bring your own snacks or lunch if you are staying for any of the optional testing. Open food and drinks are not allowed in the testing room so please make sure you have everything inside a bag or other container.

Is there a benefit to testing early? Are there any deadlines for testing?

The earlier you complete your required placement tests, pay your $150 confirmation deposit, and complete your housing information, the sooner you are able to sign up for New Student Orientation and have a better chance of getting the classes you want. Completing these steps by the priority deadline of May1st (December 15th for Spring admits) ensures that you will have the best selection of testing and orientation dates and the best chance of receiving your preferred room type in the residence halls.

When will I find out how I did on the tests?

Your advisor will go over your scores and placement with you when you attend your New Student Orientation session.

I’ve taken my tests; can I register for classes now?

You still have a few things to do before you are able to register for classes. You will register for classes when you attend your NSO (New Student Orientation) but in addition to testing, you must complete BOTH items below before you will be invited to register for your NSO.

  1.   Confirmation Deposit – You must pay your $150 confirmation deposit to confirm your intent to enroll at UWM.


  2. University Housing Paperwork – You will need to turn in either your University Housing Contract with the $100 Housing Contract Deposit if you are living in a UWM Residence Hall; OR complete a Housing Exemption Form if you are living at home or with a relative. Remember all UWM freshmen are required to live in campus housing unless they have an approved exemption form. Please visit the Housing webpage for more information on housing options and exemptions.

Once your $150 confirmation deposit and University Housing paperwork (either your housing contract and $100 housing deposit if living on campus or approved exemption paperwork if living at home) are received you will be sent information to sign up for New Student Orientation. At your Orientation session you will meet with your advisor, go over your test results, and register for your first semester classes among other exciting things!

If I have taken AP or IB courses, do I still need to take the placement tests?

We recommend that you complete placement testing even if you have taken AP/IB courses. You are permitted to use whichever scores, your AP/IB or placement, place you higher when choosing your courses so it is to your benefit to complete placement testing.

Scores from AP/IB tests completed in May arrive at UW-Milwaukee in August. Because you might attend Orientation and register for courses prior to UWM receiving your AP/IB results, course availability may be limited by the time your AP/IB credits are evaluated. If your AP/IB results are not received by the time you attend New Student Orientation, you will not be able to register for those courses if you have not completed a placement test. You can use your placement scores to register for classes while at Orientation and we will still honor the credit and/or placement you earn via AP/IB when those scores arrive on campus. Please notify your advisor at Orientation that you have taken AP/IB courses.

You can search UW-Milwaukee’s AP and IB score acceptance on the UW Help website.

How do I acquire accommodations for testing?

If you require non-standard testing conditions, please refer to the guidelines for Accommodations for Students with Disabilities.

Am I allowed to retest?

UW-Milwaukee allows retests within the guidelines of our retest policy.  Please read our policy to see if you qualify to retest.

What if I am not sure which UW System school I will be attending?

All UW System schools use the same placement tests for math, English, and foreign language. If you are unsure at the time of testing which school you will attend or change your mind after completing the tests, simply notify the testing center or admissions office of the school you will be enrolling at, and they will be able to locate your scores. The chemistry and EPT-NNSE tests are unique to UW-Milwaukee and must be completed at UW-Milwaukee on a non-regional testing date. These tests are not offered via computer based testing or on Regional testing dates at any location including UW-Milwaukee.

Who should I contact for answers to my other question(s)?

Sarah Perkins
Student Placement Coordinator

Accommodated Placement Testing
Testing Students with Disabilities Policy

According to The University of Wisconsin System Policy on Individuals with Disabilities, no qualified individual with a disability shall be denied access to or participation in any program, service, or activity offered by the universities. Individuals with disabilities have a right to request accommodations.

To ensure that you receive the proper accommodations for your test, please follow these steps*:
*If you are a current UWM student with a valid, current VISA from the UWM Accessibility Resource Center, you can bring your VISA with a photo ID to the Testing Center in the basement of Mellencamp Hall without following the steps below. Upon verification of your VISA, we will help you schedule an accommodated testing session.

  1. Log into the test registration system.
  2. Under the Examinee Menu, fill an out Accommodation Request. You will be sent an email notifying you that your request has been received. New incoming Freshmen will not receive an email as their UWM email account is not yet active. New Freshmen should contact our Placement Coordinator (414-229-2210 or nftest@uwm.edu) after submitting both their request and their documentation.
  3. Submit the proper documentation to the Accessibility Resource Center by contacting the appropriate counselor to verify what documentation is required.
    • Jason Anderson, Mobility Impairments and Deaf/Hard of Hearing
      anders96@uwm.edu or 414-937-5875
    • Jon Broskowski, Psychological and Systemic Disabilities
      bros@uwm.edu or 414-229-6730
    • Aura Hirschman, ADD/ADHD, Learning Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Blind and Visual Impairments and Alternative Text Coordinator
      hirschma@uwm.edu or 414-229-5660
    • Ann Kowalickzo, Learning Disabilities, ADD/ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders and Traumatic Brain Injuries
      kowalicz@uwm.edu or 414-229-6239
    • Barbara Simon, Autism Spectrum Disorders, ARC Directorbarbaras@uwm.edu or 414-229-5822
      • Documentation may be sent via:
        • Fax to 414-229-2237 (please include the name of the ARC Counselor)
        • Scan and email directly to ARC Counselor
        • Mail to: Accessibility Resource Center
          ATTN: (Counselor Name)
          UWM   P.O. Box 413
          Milwaukee, WI 53201
  4. Once the Testing Center receives approval from the Accessibility Resource Center regarding your accommodation, you will be sent an email notifying you that your request for accommodations has been approved. New Freshmen will be contacted via phone by the Placement Coordinator as their UWM email account is not yet active.
  5. Upon receiving an approval email, you can log back into the test registration system and register any time we offer the Accommodated Placement or Accommodated ACT tests. You MUST register for a designated accommodated testing session in order to receive your approved accommodation. Accommodated tests are NOT administered during other placement or ACT testing sessions.
  6. Accommodations are valid for one year and must be renewed after that time.
Students requesting Disability Accommodations for Regional or Computer-Based Placement Testing
  • If you are planning to attend UWM but would like to test with accommodations at another UW system testing site


  • If you are not planning to attend UWM but would like to test with accommodations at the UW Milwaukee Testing Center

It is required that students follow the directions set forth by the Testing and Evaluation Office at UW-Madison. Someone from the student’s high school, familiar with the disability, must provide a letter including what previous accommodations have been provided. The necessary documentation will be forwarded to school with which you requested to test. Once your documentation has been approved, a testing appointment can be made by contacting the testing coordinator at your chosen test. At UW-Milwaukee an appointment for testing can be made by calling Sarah Perkins at (414) 229-2210.

UW Placement testing does not authorize the use of a reader. Using a reader does not accurately reflect the language skills being tested.

Students requesting Disability Accommodations for National testing

Students requiring accommodations for national testing must follow policies established by the testing company. Information on these policies can be found the company website.

Other Placement-Related Testing

UWM offers a number of other placement-related tests for UWM students.

American College Testing (ACT) Residual

This college entrance exam is used to determine admission to the university. The residual ACT is taken in the UWM Testing Center and the scores may only be used at UWM. You must have a current UWM application on file or be a current UWM student to register for the residual ACT. The length of the test is 3 3/4 hours. There is a $50.00 fee, which must be paid at the time of testing. You must wait 60 days before retesting or your scores will be invalid. Graphing calculators are allowed.

The residual ACT is offered on specific dates throughout the year. An appointment is required to take this test. View the exam schedule and register at UWM Online Test Registration. Milwaukee Test Center Code: 4658

Admission Test Series

This test series is offered to applicants who do not meet UWM’s standard admission criteria. The results of these tests will assist in determining admissibility to the University. The test series lasts approximately 4 hours and includes an English placement test, math placement test and the Nelson Denny Reading Test. The use of a non-graphing, non-programmable calculator is allowed.

You must have a request from the UWM Office of Undergraduate Admissions on file to complete this exam series. There is no fee for this test. An appointment is required to complete the Admission Test Series (ATS). The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will notify you with the results of your tests and the status of your admission.

This Admission Test Series includes the English Placement Test, the Math Placement Test, and the Nelson Denny Reading Test.

See the Placement Tests Offered section for more information on the English Placement Test and the Math Placement Test.

The Nelson-Denny is a two-part test that measures vocabulary development, comprehension, and reading rate. Part I (Vocabulary) is a 15 minute test; Part II (Comprehension and Rate) is a 20 minute test.

College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

CLEP is a series of examinations that allow individuals to earn college credit for what they already know. This test is internet-based and score reports are available upon completion of the exam. The test is offered multiple times per month.  See more information, including registration, on the Registrar’s Office website.

Information on earning UWM credit through the CLEP exam can be found on the One Stop website.

Enrollment Policies
Below are various policies that relate to your enrollment in courses at UWM.

Academic Credit Load
The below chart provides status determinations used by federal, state, or private agencies. In order to be reported as fully-enrolled for a term, a student must be enrolled as of the day after the add deadline in that term. Prior to the add deadline, students are considered registered but not fully enrolled.

Fall/Spring Semester Credit Totals
Student Full Time Half Time Less Than Half
Undergraduates 12 or more 6-11 1-5
Graduates 8 or more 4-7 1-3
Summer Session Credit Totals
Undergraduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2
Graduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2

Teaching or program/project assistants that are employed at 1/3 or more time and enrolled for six or more credits during the fall and spring semesters are usually considered full time graduate students.

During each fall and spring semester until their dissertation is accepted by the Graduate School, doctoral students must be enrolled for either three graduate-level dissertation or research credits at the current per-credit dissertator rate. During any summers in which a doctoral student uses university facilities or faculty time, is a fellow or research assistant, or plans to graduate, the doctoral student must register for no more than three graduate level credits (dissertator rate) in the regular eight-week summer session.

Status & Financial Aid
Eligibility for veterans’ benefits and other types of aid may be based on different credit load requirements. AOC undergraduates are not considered full-time unless enrolled for 12 or more credits. English 90/95 and Math 90/95 will each be treated as the equivalent of a 3-credit class.

All students’ enrollment status for summer is defined to be the same as their fall/spring semester status. Department of Education rules require that the same credit load standards apply for spring, fall and summer session loan deferment verifications. Therefore, for undergraduates, an enrollment of at least six credits (half time enrollment) is required for loan deferment verification purposes for the summer session.

All status determinations and requirements are published through the Financial Aid Office.

Academic Credit Overloads

Maximum credit loads have been established for each term. Undergraduates who enroll beyond the max credit load will be assessed extra tuition above the normal full-time rate.

  • Fall or Spring terms: 18 credits in all schools and colleges, except Fine Arts (18 credits or three studio courses). The fall and spring registration limit in PAWS is 18 credits.
  • Summer term: 12 credits during the full term duration, but no more than four credits during any sessions less than or equal to four weeks. The summer enrollment limit in PAWS is 12 credits.
  • UWinteriM: 3 credits during the full term duration. The UWinteriM enrollment limit in PAWS is 3 credits. Due to the short duration of the term, overloads are generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

If an undergraduate student wishes to overload (take credits beyond the established maximum loads), they may request permission from their school or college advising office. Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes.

Graduate students may not register for more than 12 graduate credits in a Fall or Spring semester or 9 graduate credits in the eight-week Summer Session or a total of 12 graduate credits in all sessions between the conclusion of a Spring semester and the beginning of a fall semester. Audit, sport/recreation and colloquium seminar credits are not counted when determining a graduate student’s credit load.

If you are taking undergraduate certification coursework, are making up deficiencies, or have exceptional circumstances resulting in special hardship, you must appeal to Graduate Student Services for permission to carry more than the maximum credit load.

If you’re a doctoral student classified as a dissertator, you must be enrolled for three graduate-level credits (at the current dissertator rate) each semester until your doctoral dissertation is filed in the Golda Meir Library. The only number of credits for which a dissertator may register is three.

Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes. Forms must be submitted to Mellencamp 274 after the student’s initial registration appointment time, and will be processed by Registrar’s Office staff.

Administrative Drops

You may be administratively dropped from one or more of your classes in these situations:

  • If you enroll without permission in a class that you don’t meet the prerequisites for
  • If you don’t show up for the first week of class and don’t notify anyone
  • If you ever fail to meet the class attendance policy

Administrative Drops are initiated at the discretion of the department that is offering the course or by the course instructor. Departments and instructors have the right to enforce class prerequisite and attendance policies and may administratively drop students that do not meet the requirements. You are responsible for understanding course prerequisite or attendance policies as well as tuition for dropped classes.

Communicate with the course instructor if you feel you may be in danger of being administratively dropped, or drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. Do not count on or wait for a department to complete an administrative drop as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class online via PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Class Standing

Class standing may be used as a prerequisite for a course. The prerequisite given in the course listing refers to the qualifications and/or standing needed to enroll in a given course. If no prerequisite is listed, the course is generally open to all students. If more than one prerequisite is listed, all are necessary unless a choice is clearly indicated.

Class Standing by Credit Totals
Sophomore Junior Senior
Academic Opportunity Center 24-55 56-87 88 or more
Business & Information Studies 24-55 56-85 86 or more
Letters & Science 24-55 56-87 88 or more
Nursing 28-57 58-95 96 or more
All Other Majors 24-57 58-85 86 or more
Course Repeats

Unless a restriction is stated in the Schedule of Classes, undergraduates may repeat a course only once, and only the higher of the two grades will be calculated into the student’s grade point average (GPA). Both attempts will appear on the student’s transcript.  If retaking a class you already passed (e.g., to receive a better grade), the course may be repeated only once to be counted toward enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. If this passed course continues to be repeated, Title IV federal funds can no longer pay for this repeated course.

It is generally advisable for any student to consult an advisor before enrolling to repeat a course.

Students cannot enroll in the same course in the same term, even if the sessions are different.  If you know you will be unsuccessful in a course, you will have to repeat it in a subsequent semester.

If the UWM course repeats a course for which the student received transfer credit, the UWM course will be calculated into the GPA regardless of whether the UWM course grade is higher or lower. Both attempts will appear on the transcript. Once a bachelor’s degree has been earned, the academic career (credits, GPA, and coursework) starts over with any subsequent enrollment and the original record cannot be altered. Courses taken after the bachelor’s degree has been earned do not count as repeats of courses taken prior to the posting of the degree.

The single repeat limit applies to all courses, including courses taken for audit or with the credit/no credit option. Under exceptional circumstances additional repeats may be allowed following approval of a written appeal to the advising office of the student’s school or college. Departments offering the course have the right to establish special guidelines for additional repeats. Any special guidelines must apply to all students and shall be maintained, published, and enforced by the Registrar’s Office.

Exceptions to this policy are variable-topic courses which may be taken for credit as often as permitted for that particular course as specified in the Schedule of Classes. A variable-topic course may count as a repeat of a previously taken course only if the topic is identical to that of the student’s earlier enrollment and the repeat occurs within the same academic career.

Students who took a course as a repeat prior to fall 1988 are entitled to one additional enrollment. Transfer students who did not previously take a course at UWM are entitled to one repeat at UWM of a course taken at a previous institution.

If you have previously earned your degree from UWM, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.

Course Repeat Special Guidelines

As noted in the university’s policy on repeated courses, course repeats beyond the allowable limit must be approved by the student’s advising office. Effective as of Fall 2016, UWM’s College of Letters & Science and the Lubar School of Business have established additional guidelines requiring departmental approval for undergraduate students attempting classes offered by their academic units as well as the approval of the student’s academic unit.  Details on specific academic units requiring departmental approval for repeats after two attempts follow:

Published Guidelines for Repeats Beyond the Allowable Limit

AfricologyAllJeffrey Sommers
American Indian StudiesAllMichael Wilson
AnthropologyAllErica Bornstein
(414) 229-4881
Art HistoryAllDerek Counts
(414) 229-4330
Biological SciencesAllLapham Hall #S181
(414) 229-4214
Business AdministrationAllLubar Hall #N297
(414) 229-5271
Chemistry & BiochemistryAllChemistry 114
(414) 229-4411
Students are permitted to attempt a single Chemistry or Biochemistry course or equivalent transfer course a maximum of three times. Students seeking to enroll in the same course for a second repeat (third attempt) must be approved to do so by the course instructor and the Chemistry and Biochemistry department by completing a permission form.
CommunicationAll(414) 229-4262
EconomicsAllScott Adams
(414) 229-4811
English100, 101 & 102Debra Siebert
Curtin #408
(414) 229-6442
All othersGilberto Blasini
(414) 229-5912
English for Academic PurposesAllBrooke Haley
To repeat an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course for the 3rd time, students must write an email to the EAP coordinator and their academic advisor explaining in detail why they failed the course two previous times. They should also explain what, specifically, they will do differently on the 3rd attempt to successfully complete the course.
Film StudiesAllGilberto Blasini
(414) 229-5912
Foreign Languages and LiteratureAllAndrew Porter
(414) 229-5564
French, Italian, and Comparative LiteratureAllRobin Pickering-Iazzi
(414) 229-4382
GeographyAllKristin Sziarto
(414) 229-3941
GeosciencesAll(414) 229-4561
HistoryAll(414) 229-4316
Journalism, Advertising, and Media StudiesAll(414) 229-4436
LinguisticsAllGarry Davis
(414) 229-4942
MathStudents in UWM's College of Letters & ScienceL&S Advising
Holton 142
(414) 229-4654
Third attempts at Math courses can be approved at the discretion of the student’s School/College advising unit. All fourth takes need approval from the Mathematics Department.
Students in Other UWM Schools/CollegesRefer to the Contact List for UWM Academic Advising Offices
PhilosophyAllWilliam Bristow
(414) 229-4719
PhysicsAllphysics-ugadvisor@uwm.edu1. Complete required request form.
2. Contact Physics for a review appointment.
Political ScienceAllKathleen Dolan
(414) 229-6468
PsychologyAllAnna Morehouse
(414) 229-4746
The Psychology Department will allow students to retake a course twice (three attempts total). Per L&S procedures students must file a formal appeal to the department to be granted a second retake. This appeal can be filed using the online form found here. Appeals for additional retakes (more than two) will be considered by the Associate Chair and the course instructor and will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.
Public and Nonprofit AdministrationAllDoug Irhke
(414) 229-4732
Spanish and Portuguese103, 104, 203 & 204Curtin #733
(414) 229-4257
300 to 500Curtin #733
(414) 229-4257
All OthersCurtin #733
(414) 229-4257
Translation & InterpretingAllmallt-program
Urban StudiesAllJoel Rast
(414) 229-4751
Women's and Gender StudiesAllKathy Miller-Dillon
(414) 229-5382
Credit Hour Policy

Study leading to one semester credit represents an investment of time by the average student of not fewer than 48 hours for class contact in lectures, for laboratories, examinations, tutorials and recitations, and for preparation and study; or a demonstration by the student of learning equivalent to that established as the expected product of such a period of study.

See the full UWM Credit Hour Policy.

Excess Credit Surcharge

Per UW Board of Regent policy, all resident undergraduate students who have accumulated 165 credits (or 30 credits more than required by their degree programs, whichever is greater) will be charged a surcharge, equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition, on credits beyond the 165 credit plateau.

This policy applies to all UW System earned credits and WTCS transfer credits accepted toward a degree. Credits transferred from other institutions, as well as other types of credit or coursework for which credit may be awarded (such as advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, remedial credits, etc.) are not included in the credit limit.

The surcharge will be applied to all students in the semester following the one in which they reached the earned credit limit.  UW-Milwaukee may make exceptions through an appeals process and grant waivers in cases of extenuating circumstances beyond a student’s control.

The Registrar’s Office will issue a “Warning of Surcharge” communication to students who are nearing the 165 credit limit and a “Notification of Surcharge” communication to students who exceed the 165 credit limit. The letter will include policy information as well as appeal/waiver instructions which direct the student to visit the advising office within their school or college.

Approved appeals and surcharge waivers will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office by the schools and colleges. Applicable surcharges will be assessed by the Bursar’s Office.  The Provost’s Office will be responsible for the review of programs with credit requirements in excess of 130 credits.

Undergraduate special students are not subject to the credit limit, although degree-seeking students are not permitted to change to special student status for the purpose of avoiding the application of this surcharge. Second-degree candidates and students pursuing post-baccalaureate certification or licensure are not subject to the credit limit. Minnesota reciprocity students are not covered by the policy under the existing compact and will not be subject to the surcharge until such time that Minnesota adopts a similar surcharge.

Grading Basis
Most students enroll in classes on a “Graded” basis that results in the assignment of a letter grade that appears on the transcript.  See the Grades section for more information.

Some classes allow the student to select a different grading basis during the enrollment process, including Credit/No Credit and Audit.

Credit/No Credit

Some courses may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis rather than for a letter grade. To be granted credit for a course that you’ve enrolled in with the Credit/No Credit option, you must earn a grade of C- or better.

Courses used to satisfy General Education Requirements and the English and math competencies may not be taken with the C/NC option. Schools and colleges with specific limitations on courses taken with the C/NC option are published below.

Some courses are offered on a C/NC basis only. These may be taken in addition to the published limits. C/NC courses are not counted in the GPA, but courses in which credit is earned will count toward graduation. Courses may be changed from a regular graded basis to C/NC or vice versa only during the same period as courses may be added. Only one such change may be made per semester per course.

University Special Students should contact an advisor in the Admissions Office for more information on the C/NC option.

Off-campus students should contact their advisor for more information on the C/NC option.

Credit/No Credit Option Table
School/College Qualifying Students C/NC Eligible Courses Limits
Academic Opportunity Center AOC Undergraduates follow the rules published for Letters & Science
College of Engineering & Applied Science Undergraduates in Engineering & Applied Science Free elective or Arts/Humanities/Social Science elective courses. Maximum of 12 credits; no more than three credits in any one semester.
College of Health Sciences Undergraduates admitted to the College of Health Sciences No required courses in any of the pre-professional or professional programs may be taken on a C/NC basis. Only one course, regardless of number of credits, may be taken per semester. A maximum of 12 credits may be taken C/NC.
College of Letters & Science Undergraduates in Letters & Science Courses other than Honors courses that are not in the student’s major or minor. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
College of Nursing Undergraduates in Nursing Non-clinical elective courses in Nursing. One course per semester, maximum of six credits.
Helen Bader School of Social Welfare Undergraduates majors and pre-majors in Social Work & Criminal Justice Only used in courses outside the 54-65 credit requirements in the Social Work or Criminal Justice major. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
Lubar School of Business Undergraduates in Business & Pre-Business All non-business courses (courses outside Lubar School of Business) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses. No Business course may be taken on a C/NC basis by any student regardless of their program unless it is only offered on a C/NC basis. Pre-Business Students may not take ECON 103, ECON 104, or MATH 211 on a C/NC basis.
Peck School of the Arts Undergraduates in the Arts Courses outside of the major; any course which would fulfill the core curriculum requirements. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses
School Architecture & Urban Planning Pre-Architecture students and upper-level students with a 2.5 GPA Elective courses; courses other than the 48 credits required for the Architectural Studies degree. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.
School of Education Undergraduates in Education & Pre-Education Please see your advisor. Please see your advisor.
School of Information Studies Undergraduates in Information Resources All non-Information Studies (courses outside SOIS) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.

Any non-degree seeking student or other individual who wishes to participate in a class at UWM without earning credit or pursuing a program should contact the Admissions Office.

If you audit a class, you won’t receive a grade or earn college credit for the class, and in most cases, you won’t be expected to take exams or prepare projects or term papers. Be sure to discuss course work and attendance requirements with your instructor during the first week of class. Course auditing is generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

Classes that require instructor consent to audit or never can be taken for audit are marked in the Schedule of Classes.

Auditors of any class held in the Klotsche Center and Pavilion will need to register each semester at the University Recreation Information Center in the Klotsche Center & Pavilion. Auditors will be permitted to use the space in the building assigned to the class only during the actual meeting times of the class. The auditor will be permitted to enter the facility 30 minutes prior to the class start time.

In order to gain regular access to the Klotsche Center and Pavilion facilities, any auditor, dissertator, off-campus student, or other class participant who has not paid the mandatory student fee must do so in the Bursar Office. The mandatory student fee is dependent on corresponding credit load and must be received in full before usage of facilities.