Transferring Course Credits
Transferring credits you’ve earned from another school to UWM should be seamless and simple. Review this information to take the guess work out of your transfer.
Whether or not you’re currently enrolled at another school, it’s important to work closely with your Academic Advisor at UWM to make the most of classes you’ve already taken and are planning your remaining coursework accordingly.
You can review the complete University of Wisconsin Transfer Policy online.
- Typically, transfer credit is only awarded for college-level and undergraduate coursework
- Courses that are part of continuing education or graduate level programs and those that are remedial, technical, vocational or doctrinal are not transferable
- Previous institutions from which you may transfer credit must be accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation)
- Semester term credits are transferred on a one-to-one basis
- Quarter term credits are transferred on a two-thirds-to-one basis: A student who has taken 30 transferrable credits at a quarter-system institution will have 20 semester hours transfer to UWM.
- A maximum of 72 semester credits from 2-year institutions can be applied to your total UWM degree credits
- There is no maximum of semester credits that can be transferred from a four-year university
- Grades you received for credits that are transferred from other institutions are not calculated in your GPA at UWM
- Previous grades and GPA may be used in your program’s admission decision
- If you repeat UWM coursework at another institution and later return to UWM, the grade you earned at UWM will be used to calculate your GPA
- Incoming courses may transfer as UWM course equivalents or electives
- Electives have course descriptions that do not resemble UWM courses directly, but will receive elective credit within a curricular area and are signified by letters instead of a course number (e.g., HISTORY X)
- Elective credits count toward degree credit totals and may be used in fulfilling degree requirements pending permission from the academic program
- Transfer credit can satisfy degree requirements although the academic program may need to approve the use of elective credits
- Each program requires a certain number of credits to be earned in residence at UWM, and some programs include transfer credit GPA in determining if requirements are satisfied
- Always consult your Academic Advisor on specific requirements to ensure you are on the right track
Transfer Credit Evaluation Specialists will always try to award you with as much transfer credit as possible.
- Once you have been admitted to UWM, your Official Transcript data is submitted to the Registrar’s Office
- The Registrar’s Office Transfer Credit Evaluation Specialists review course descriptions from your other institutions and compare the content with courses offered by UWM
- Courses are identified as either equivalencies or electives, or are not eligible for transfer
- At this time, the Transfer Equivalency Database is maintained for new and existing course equivalencies
- The official results of the Registrar’s credit evaluation are posted to your PAWS account within 2-4 weeks of your date of admittance.
- Log in to your PAWS account
- Under the yellow Academics header, click into the drop down menu for Other Academic
- Select the Transfer Credit Report and click the yellow arrow button
- All transfer credit, including course credits and test credits, will be posted within the report
- Once your transfer credits are posted, begin planning for your first semester at UWM
Contact the Registrar’s Office via our online form at any time with questions.
Course equivalency results using these and other tools are considered unofficial, but will offer a solid guideline as to what may be transferrable to UWM. Official transfer credit is only awarded after the completion of the credit evaluation process following admission.
Simply click on the icon above to create a free account. Enter the coursework you’ve completed, then use the search to see how it transfers.
|Transfer Guide||An outline of program requirements, transferable credits and recommendations|
|Transfer Equivalency Worksheet||An easy to use, fill-in-the-blank form for transfers in progress|
|Articulation Agreement||A specific program-to-program transfer agreement contract with established conditions. Some programs below that have transfer guides or worksheets listed also have articulation agreements. To read the full agreement, visit the Registrar’s Office website.|
|Collaborative Nursing Program
(Wisconsin Technical College System)
|Early Childhood Education
(Wisconsin Technical College System)
(Most 2-Year Institutions)
|UW/WTCS Universal Credit Transfer Agreement|
|UW College Connections|
|Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college between 2008 – Fall 2013)|
|Letters & Sciences – All Majors (began college Fall 2013 or later)|