Undergraduate students in their last year at UWM can find important graduation information here. Contact your Academic Advisor if you have any questions or concerns related to graduation.
Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for information about graduation and diplomas.
Between your review of your PAWS Academic Advisement Report and twice-a-year meetings with your Academic Advisor, you should be on track to meet all graduation requirements.
Your General Education Requirements should be nearly, if not completely satisfied.
The course requirements of your major should be mostly satisfied. Take advantage of your Enrollment Appointment so that you can add your final term’s classes as soon as possible. Be sure to include double-major or minor requirements, too.
You should be on track to meet the UWM General Degree Requirements for Undergraduates seeking a Bachelor’s Degree. Each School and College has it’s own set of Graduation Requirements related to Grade Point Average, Credits, and Residency.
Completing your degree requirements does not automatically trigger your graduation application. You must notify the Registrar’s Office of your intent to graduate by applying through your PAWS account after you’ve enrolled in your last semester of classes. The application deadline is always at the beginning of the semester. Follow the steps below to submit your application. (If you do not see the “Apply for Graduation” link, you are not currently eligible to apply. Please contact your undergraduate academic advisor or your advising office for assistance.)
- Log in to PAWS
- Under the Academics section, select “Apply for Graduation” from the “other academics” drop down and click the arrows
- Under the Submit an Application for Graduation section, you should see another “Apply for Graduation” link. Click that link.
- On the Apply for Graduation page, click on your Academic Program in blue
- Select your graduation term from the Expected Graduation Term drop down menu, then click the CONTINUE button
- Click the Apply for Bachelor’s Degree button
- Complete the Apply for Graduation questionnaire, then click Submit
An email confirmation will be sent to you once your application is received.
Late Graduation Application
The last day to apply for undergraduate graduation for a given term is the date of graduation. If you missed the opportunity to apply for graduation in PAWS, you will be required to complete the paper graduation application (pdf) and submit the $40 graduation fee to the Registrar’s Office in Mellencamp Hall.
- Pay the $40 Graduation Application Fee in PAWS or at the Bursar’s Office
- Double-check that you don’t have an outstanding PAWS balance or any PAWS holds
- Check your UWM Email Address frequently for important updates on your degree or graduation
- At least two months before graduation, verify the name and address you have listed in your PAWS account (that will be the name printed on your diploma and the address your diploma is sent to)
- Also two months prior, order your cap and gown online at colleges.herffjones.com/college/_UWMilwaukee
- Did you borrow any student loans? If so, please view important Exit Loan Counseling information
Changing Your Graduation Date
If you find that you will not complete your degree requirements after you already applied for graduation, you may change your graduation date at any time by notifying the Registrar’s Office through the Contact RO form.
You’re strongly encouraged to attend the commencement ceremony, but participation isn’t required. You’ll receive a letter with the details of the ceremony from the Secretary of the University 2-3 weeks before the scheduled date.
The Commencement Booklet List identifies the student names published in the commencement book for the most recent/upcoming December and May commencement ceremony. As a general rule, the commencement book list will be available for viewing beginning early April for the Spring/Summer commencement and early November for Fall/UWinteriM commencement.
If you have any questions about the commencement ceremony, contact the Secretary of the University.
The name listed in PAWS is the name that will be printed on your diploma and Official Transcript. If you want a different name or different spelling on your diploma, you will have to submit a Student Record Data Change Form in person at the Registrar’s Office at least 8 weeks before the commencement ceremony.
Replacement diplomas are available for a $35.00 reorder fee. You can complete the Replacement Diploma Form (PDF version or Online Version) or request a replacement in person at the Registrar’s Office. All diplomas ordered after the original diploma has been issued are considered replacement of the original document. The statement “Replacement for diploma issued” and the student’s original date of graduation will appear at the bottom edge of the replacement diploma and will bear the signatures of the present University Chancellor and State Officers.
You can request that someone else pick up your diploma, but an Authorization Letter For Diploma Pickup must be completed first. Please note that faxed and otherwise electronically transmitted copies of the PDF version of the authorization form will not be accepted. Form must be submitted in person or by mail, so we recommend the online version. The authorized recipient of the diploma must present a photo ID at the time of diploma pick up. A copy of the ID will be retained along with the letter.
If you have questions regarding your diploma, contact the Registrar’s Office.
- 4th week in February for December graduates
- 2nd week in March for UWinteriM graduates
- 4th week in July for Spring graduates
- 4th week in October for Summer graduates
If you have questions about the authorization letter, contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.
- Login to your Student Center via PAWS
- Click on the “My Academics” link
- Click on “View my graduation status”
Students who have applied for graduation and require verification of their graduation date from the University are able to generate a graduation verification letter online at uwm.edu/gradletter. This letter is for prospective graduates whose degrees are not yet posted or graduates who have graduated in the last 5 years. All other graduates must contact the UWM Registrar’s Office at (414) 229-3800 or by email at http://contactro.uwm.edu. The graduation verification letter will include the following information:
- Full Name
- Expected or actual graduation date
UWM Alumni can participate in an alumni chapter, receive personal benefits and campus perks, and connect with a large network of UWM graduates.
For more information, contact the UWM Alumni Association.