Noise Nuisances

The City of Milwaukee noise ordinance states that an owner of a property (residential, commercial, rental or owner occupied) may not have a noise nuisance on their property. Point source noise (factories, equipment on commercial buildings, etc.) is measured and regulated by the Department of Neighborhood Services. Intermittent noise (boom boxes, loud parties, live music, etc.) is measured by the police. If they can hear it 50 feet away from the property, they can issue a citation. If a citation is issued to an occupant ($206), MPD will forward a copy to DNS who will issue a notice of violation to the property owner. If a second citation is issued to the same tenant and the owner takes to action to correct the problem, DNS will notify the owner that the cost of police services and related administrative costs will be assessed against the tax bill of the property from where the noise was produced.