Mental health care remains a national unmet need and a need within the State of Wisconsin.
Nearly one in five U.S. adults lives with a mental illness (44.7 million in 2016), according to the National Institutes of Mental Health. Many of these disorders are identified mid to late adolescence, but left untreated, resulting in lifetime symptoms.
Improve the health and well-being in and around Wisconsin by pursuing a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate (pending approval in Fall 2018) beginning in Spring 2019.
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate is designed for registered nurses that have already completed a master’s degree in nursing and wish to pursue preparation as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP).
Priority application deadline for admission and funding is October 1, 2018.
This is an online certificate. Practica are completed in a clinical setting.
The admission requirements of the post master’s psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner program are consistent with those requirements specified by the Graduate School of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In addition, students must also meet the following requirements for the College of Nursing:
- A master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited program.
- Completion-with a grade of B or better-of a graduate-level course in physiology, pharmacology, and comprehensive assessment. Evidence of prescriptive authority in the state of Wisconsin will be accepted in place of graduate pharmacology.
- Current registration as a professional nurse in the state of Wisconsin.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, two (2) of which are from persons most knowledgeable about the applicant’s recent academic and work experiences. Personal interviews with a faculty member may be requested.
- Completion of an autobiographical sketch.
- Students wishing to obtain this certificate must declare their intention by applying to the program office or director.
(18 credits total). All six courses are required*.
NURS 741 Psychiatric Mental Health Theory I 3 credits
NURS 742 Psychiatric Mental Health Theory II 3 credits
NURS 743 Psychiatric Mental Health Theory III 3 credits
NURS 781 Psychiatric Mental Health NP Practicum I 3 credits
NURS 782 Psychiatric Mental Health NP Practicum II 3 credits
NURS 783 Psychiatric Mental Health NP Practicum III 3 credits
Students take each theory concurrently with practicum, Theory I with Practicum I as an example.
*The six courses for the certificate may also be taken as part of the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree program for those not currently prepared as advanced practice nurses. Completion of the certificate makes graduates eligible for certification and licensure as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
It is expected that students will complete the certificate in one year.
For More Information/ To Apply