Professionals from UWM will get out in the neighborhood surrounding UWM this August to welcome UWM students back to school and deliver bags full of giveaways, goodies from campus resource centers and coupons from local businesses to students who live within walking distance from campus.
Campus partners are asked to consider contributing to the bags to connect with UWM students before the fall semester. If interested, please contact University Housing with the contents of your contribution by the end of July to prevent doubling up on similar items, or to ask if items are OK to include in donations.
Contributions should be engaging and action-oriented. Giveaway items like T-shirts, keychains, etc. are preferred. At a minimum, contributions should be a flyer with events, deals or discounts listed. Please adhere to the following guidelines as you consider your contribution.
- Delivered to Chapman 180B between Aug. 17 and 21 (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.) or to the Neighborhood Housing Office between June and Aug. 17.
- Action-oriented and/or engaging (event flyer or giveaway item)
- Lightweight (ceramic coffee mugs, T-shirts, and other heavy items really weigh down the bags and make the bags difficult for volunteers to carry)
- Smaller than an 8×10 sheet of paper (in width and height, not depth)
- No general office brochures or business cards
- If you must include some sort of contact or general info, it should be stapled to an event flyer prior to delivery
Please do not limit yourself to this list, but contribution examples from past years include:
- Post-It Notes
- T-shirts (These are on the heavier side though, try to avoid if possible)
- Cardholders (sticky to cell phones)
- Water bottle and laptop clings
- Whiteboards and markers
- Vouchers for free rentals at UREC
- Chip Clips
- Band-aids and dispenser
- Keyboard stickers
- Bublr Bike promos
- Event schedules
In addition to your area’s contribution, each bag will already contain:
- Welcome letter
- UWM safety magnet
- Handouts on being safe in the neighborhood
- Family weekend information
- Off-campus student to do list
- Coupons from local businesses
- Fall Welcome schedule
UNITE stands for University-Neighborhood Initiative to Engage and involves staff from UWM welcoming students back to the neighborhood. UNITE typically delivers roughly 1,000 bags to UWM students and is a great way to get on students’ radar prior to the start of the school year. UNITE bag stuffing will take place on Wednesday, Aug. 21, and delivery will take place the next day.