Student Resources

Homestead Tax Credit

The Homestead Credit is a tax benefit for renters and homeowners with low or moderate incomes. If you live off-campus, you might qualify to get a tax refund for paying rent. It is designed to lessen the impact of rent and property taxes. Qualifying persons can get back some or all of their state taxes withheld during the year. Those who do not have earnings, or whose earnings were too small to have taxes withheld, can get extra cash back from the State. If you meet all of the qualifications, you must complete a Wisconsin Homestead Credit Claim, Schedule H or Schedule H-EZ, to determine the amount of any benefit available. You can not claim the Homestead Credit if your parents claim you as a dependent. For assistance with taxes or the Homestead Credit visit the check out the tax clinic by AARP and the Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership & Research.