Calling all UWM Student Organizations and local businesses! Homecoming 2019 is November 3rd-November 9th and we want you to show your Panther Pride by Painting the Town Black and Gold!
Check out images from last year’s winners!
- The entry deadline for the contest is Monday, October 28th.
- Student organization window design plan and draft example and Hold Harmless Release Form completed by both the student org and business manager must be submitted in person to the Neighborhood Housing Office before decorating may begin and no later than Thursday, October 31st by the end of the day. Approval/revisions will be given within 24-48 hours. It is in organizations best interest to submit design plan and example draft as early as possible.
- Decorating may start on Friday, November 1st and must be complete by November 6th at noon (12pm). Student organizations must coordinate when to get the decorating done. Dates of decoration must be agreed upon by both the Student Organization and the Business contact person.
- Photo submissions for judging of window decorations submitted to email@example.com by November 6th at 12pm noon. Photos of window decorations will be featured on the Neighborhood Housing Website, Newsletter, Social Media, and at the Panther Arena during the Men’s Basketball game on Saturday, November 9th.
- Judging will take place November 6th-8th.
- Winners will be announced at the basketball game on November 9th. Representatives from your student organization must be present to win.
- Student Organizations must clean-up window decorations no later than Sunday, November 10th at 5pm.
How to Get Involved
To enter your student organization in the contest, e-mail the UWM Neighborhood Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 28th with the following information:
- First and Last name of Student Organization Point Person and 3 other participating members of your student organization
- Contact Person Phone number
- Contact Person UWM E-mail
- Whether or not you would like to be matched with a business or if your organization will find your own business to partner with. If selecting your own business to partner with, please e-mail the managers contact information to email@example.com when you submit your organization for entry into the contest. The Neighborhood Housing Office will send your approval to paint by 5pm on Friday, November 1st.
Once student organizations receive business match information, student organizations must reach out to the business contact person to establish a time to paint the business’s windows between the dates of November 1st and November 5th.
1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be recognized and prizes will be announced at the November 9th Men’s Basketball game. Potential prizes could include: spring programming funding, pizza party, t-shirts, gift cards, and more!
- Paintings must be based off the theme (To be Determined). Winner will be announced at the basketball game on November 9th. Representatives from your student organization must be present to win.
- Windows must be painted on the outside of the business window unless otherwise agreed upon between student org and business.
- The window pane must be painted in good taste and incorporate UW-Milwaukee, the Homecoming theme, and the student organization in the design.
- Appropriate content: Portraying your organization and/or school in a positive light. Making visuals/writing unique, eye-catching, etc.
- Disqualifying content: Threatening, discriminatory, hateful or harassing visuals and/or language. Negatively portraying any organization or school.
- At least 4 members of your organization must decorate the window. The more the merrier!
- You must decorate in specified window(s). Your business partner will let you know exactly which ones.
- You must use the supplies provided by your business partner. The businesses partners will provide supplies to each organization. Only tempera paints can be used for the window designs! No glitter, glitter paints, or any glitter products can be used. Businesses have the discretion to supply whatever supplies they desire and have been recommended the following: paint, stencils, brushes, and a drop cloth.
- Both the business and the student organization must sign a Hold Harmless Agreement which is to be delivered in person to the Neighborhood Housing Office prior to design approval or decorating.
- In the event of rain or dangerous weather, the event will be cancelled.
- Clean-up: student organizations will be responsible for cleaning the window properly by 5pm on Sunday, November 10th, unless determined otherwise in the Hold Harmless Agreement.
- Student Organizations that decorate windows with disqualifying content, fail to receive proper approval, or fail to properly clean the windows of the business will be subject to a $250 charge posted to the student organizations account.
- Judging will be based on the following: creativity, originality, incorporation of UWM & homecoming theme, use of space, and overall effect.
For questions, please contact the Neighborhood Housing Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling (414) 229-6999, or stop into the Neighborhood Housing Office in the Student Union, WG85