Neighborhood Housing is here to help you:
- Be confident in your independent search for off-campus housing
- Understand the rental search process along with tenant rights and responsibilities
- Perform a free background check and/or property check on any City of Milwaukee property upon request.
- Find available rental properties, roommate(s), and subleases and answer any questions you may have about renting in the surrounding communities. Please note, UWM does not own or manage any off-campus houses or apartments and Neighborhood Housing does not make housing assignments.
- Confidently communicate with your landlord
- Get connected with renting related resources like the University Legal Clinic for a free lease review
The Neighborhood Housing Office believes in serving as a resource to support student success as both tenants and community members. We encourage civic responsibility, serve as a liaison between UWM and the community, and offer education and guidance to our constituents on the rental process and more. We promote positive living experiences in the neighborhoods near UWM through educational initiatives, referral, and outreach.
By utilizing the Neighborhood Housing Office and participating in programming initiatives, students will:
- Develop a sense of belonging to the City of Milwaukee by exploring the neighborhood surrounding UWM
- Evaluate how students as individuals and as a community, demonstrate civic responsibility in the context of the diverse neighborhood surrounding UWM
- Identify and utilize resources available to student-tenants to solve challenges and create positive experiences related to renting and living off-campus
- Distinguish between UWM’s off-campus rental process and other University’s off-campus processes
- Translate knowledge of tenant rights and responsibilities into an actionable plan for renting and living in the neighborhoods near UWM