According to the CDC, you and your roommate(s) should only leave your house/apartment when absolutely necessary. Essential errands include going to in-person classes, the grocery store, pharmacy, or medical appointments that cannot be delayed.
If you must leave the house, please do the following:
- Choose one or two members who are not at a higher risk to run the essential errands.
- Wear a mask, avoid crowds, practice social distancing, and follow these recommended tips for running errands.
- If feasible, use forms of transportation that minimize close contact with others (e.g., biking, walking, driving or riding by car either alone or with household members).
- If necessary to use public transportation:
- Maintain a 6-foot distance from other passengers as much as possible.
- Avoid touching high-touch surfaces such as handrails, and wash hands or use hand sanitizers as soon as possible after leaving.
- Follow CDC guidance on how to protect yourself when using transportation.
- Try to commute during less busy times.
- Clean your hands as soon as possible after the trip.
- If necessary to ride in a car with members of different households:
- Limit close contact and create space between others in the vehicle as possible.
- Improve air flow in the car by opening the window or placing air conditioning on non-recirculation mode.
- Wash your hands immediately after you return home.
- Maintain as much physical distance as possible with those at higher risk in the home. For example, avoid hugging, kissing, or sharing food or drinks.