Determine the best environment : house, apartment, neighborhood, location
- There are various off-campus rental units available to you as a UWM student, including apartments, houses, duplexes and more.
- Visit our listing service located on our Neighborhood Housing website or join our Facebook page to connect with potential roommates!
Create a budget
- Keep the cost of utilities in mind, such as internet, water/sewer, heat, gas, electric, etc.
Make a list of wants vs needs
- What areas near campus do you want to live in?
- What transportation factors do you need to consider?
Set up and attend showings with landlords: Good Neighbor Program/Preferred Tenant Program
- The Good Neighbor Program between the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Neighborhood Housing Office and local property owners and managers, establishes a clear standard for property owners and managers renting to UWM students in the near-UWM neighborhood.
Resources for Common Summer Issues:
- You are responsible for maintaining a clean neighborhood!
You can sign up for text reminders the day before their trash/recycling will be picked up at https://city.milwaukee.gov/News-Events/enotify.
- Request a free background check on any landlord or property from the NHO by emailing us the name and property information.
- Dispose of bulky furniture items properly at a drop off center to avoid a citation from the City of Milwaukee!