Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions and Registration

Documented military experience (for military students or veteran students) will be evaluated by the UW-Milwaukee Admissions Office. Maximum credit possible will be awarded for your military training and experience.

All students must apply to attend UW-Milwaukee. Please see the following web site to apply for the next fall term: Undergraduate: UW-Milwaukee Undergraduate Admissions Office. Graduate:  Graduate Admissions Office.

UW-Milwaukee does not guarantee transferability of credits prior to course and transcript evaluation. When you apply at UW-Milwaukee Undergraduate Admissions Office or Graduate Admissions Office the coursework you have completed will be evaluated to determine which credits are transferrable.

The Certifying Official is responsible for certifying the enrollment and changes in enrollment of eligible students to the VA. The UW-Milwaukee Certifying Official is James Schmidt. He is located at the UW-Milwaukee Military Education Benefits Office, Room 168a, Mellencamp Hall, and may be contacted via email at, or via the website at

MAVRC Services

Below are the services available from UW-Milwaukee to service members, veterans and spouses/dependents of service members:

  • Free tutoring (online and face to face) from Panther Academic Support Services.
  • Free writing assistance (online and face to face) from the UWM Writing Center.
  • Access to the UWM Golda Meir Library.
  • Online – UW-Milwaukee Campus Information.
  • Face to face – UW-Milwaukee Client Services (Ground Floor of Student Union)
  • Academic advising from the UWM Student Success Center
  • Veterans benefits help from the UW-Milwaukee Military Education Benefits Office
  • UW-Milwaukee IT Help Desk (24/7 online support)

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, UWM is in compliance with federal and state regulations and provides reasonable accommodations to qualified students with different types of disabilities. For more information, please contact the UW-Milwaukee Student Accessibility Center, located at Mitchell Hall room 112 or by phone at (414) 229-6287.

Benefits and Aid

If you receive any kind of withdrawal, you will owe money back to the VA for those courses. If you withdraw from a course – you must officially withdraw AND notify the UW-Milwaukee’s Certifying Official so that information can be reported to the VA. The sooner you do this, the less the overpayment / debt with the VA will be.

If you receive an Incomplete – you must finish the coursework and receive a grade within one year or the VA will charge an overpayment. (Note: the school requires completion of Incompletes based on Instructor discretion). Find out more about this at UW-Milwaukee Admissions Office.

Yes. If you are eligible for financial aid, you can use this in conjunction with your VA education benefits. It is recommended that you meet with someone to discuss the types of aid you are eligible for (i.e. Pell Grant vs. Student Loans). Financial aid can assist in offsetting any remaining tuition and fees not covered your VA education benefits. Also, if you are not 100% entitled to Chapter 33, financial aid options can assist in paying your tuition and fees. Find out more about this at UW-Milwaukee Financial Aid Office.

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks while continuing students should receive their benefits approximately three (3) weeks after submitting proper documentation. Find out more about this at UW-Milwaukee Military Education Benefits Office.

Where can I find...

Veterans Ball

The attire for the event is semi-formal.

Women: Long or short dress

Men: Tuxedo or dark suit

Select either beef or fish when purchasing your tickets on the Eventbrite site. If vegetarian or other special meal entrée is preferred, please email Amanda Dahms at

The Hilton Milwaukee Downtown, located on 5th Street and Wisconsin Avenue, offers guests and visitors convenient, covered parking attached to the hotel. Street parking is also available.

Veterans, active duty, guard, reserves, community supporters and guests.