- PhD, Meteorology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, 1991
- MS, Meteorology, Massachusetts Inst. of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA, 1983
- BSc, Meteorology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1981
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, SUNY at Albany, 1992-1993
- Synoptic and mesoscale meteorology
- Climate dynamics
- Systems modeling and data analysis
- Numerical weather prediction
Selected Service and Projects
- Initiative Administrator of Innovative Weather
- Numerical Assessment of the Practical and Intrinsic Predictability of Warm-season Convective Initiation, NSF Grant, 2014-2017, with C. Evans.
- Role of Low-Level Clouds in the Accelerated Warming of the Great Lakes, NSF Grant, 2012-2105, with S. Kravtsov.
- Development of a Client Demonstration Temperature Forecast System, UWM Research Foundation Catalyst Grant, 2013-14.
- Recent publications of interest:
- Roebber, P.J., 2013: Using evolutionary programming to generate skillful extreme value probabilistic forecasts.Mon. Wea Rev., 141, 3170-3185.
- Roebber, P.J. M. Westendorf and G.R. Meadows, 2010: Innovative Weather: A new strategy for student, university and community relationships. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 91, 877-888.
- Schumann, M.R., and P.J. Roebber, 2010: The influence of synoptic forcing on convective morphology: An observational analysis.Mon. Wea. Rev., 138, 463-474
- Roebber, P.J., 2009: Planetary waves, cyclogenesis, and the irregular breakdown of zonal motion over the North Atlantic.Mon. Wea. Rev., 137, 3907-3917.
- Van Klooster, S.L., and P.J. Roebber, 2009: Surface-based convective potential in the contiguous United States in a business-as-usual future climate. J. Climate, 22, 3317-3330.
- Roebber, P.J, 2009: Visualizing multiple measures of forecast quality. Wea. Forecasting, 24, 601-608.
Hoffman, R. R., LaDue, D. S., Mogil, H. M., Roebber, Paul J., and Trafton, J. G. “Minding the Weather: How expert forecasters think.” MIT Press 1. MIT Press, MIT Press, (2017): 528.
Paul Roebber on MathSciNet