In the midst of social distancing, how might one responsibly continue to collect oral histories? Below are resources to help you locate tools for remote video and audio interviewing and editing. Feel free to contact us in the DH Lab with questions as well as suggestions for additional resources: email@example.com.
- Zoom | https://zoom.us/
- The basic free account includes face-to-face video conferencing that can be recorded. Meetings that include 2 or more people are limited to 40 minutes in the basic free account. The recording format is .mp4 and editable.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra | https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra
- This video conferencing tool is available through your UWM Panther account. Like Zoom, Collaborate Ultra also allows you to record your interview session. The recording format is also .mp4 and editable.
- How to Record Calls on your Smartphone, Wired, Liz Stinson and Josie Colt, May 2018 | https://www.wired.com/story/record-calls-with-your-phone/
- A short guide to applications and tools (including at least one landline strategy) to enable your smartphone to record calls.
- TapeACall | https://www.tapeacall.com/
- Recommended by Wired for iPhones. There does not seem to be version for Android. This is not a free app.
- Cube Call Recorder | https://cubeacr.app/
- A decently rated free application for Android. Note that you should disable automatic recording of calls so that you have the opportunity to seek permission before recording begins.
Tools for Editing Audio and Video
- Reaper for Audio and Video | https://www.reaper.fm/
- Currently offering a free license (good until June) to assist with remote work and learning
- Extensive list of helpful tutorials; easy to use: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
- Audacity for Audio | https://www.audacityteam.org/
- Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- Tutorials for basic editing with Audacity:
- How to record with Audacity: https://youtu.be/vs92BVVL6V4
- Basic Edit tools Audacity: https://youtu.be/GHe_Og-yEow
- Cut and slice: https://youtu.be/cQRABLLrhyo
- Copy and Paste: https://youtu.be/azg7WJR-5Jw
- Save and export*: https://youtu.be/1dtEO-uHG1Y
- *Saving as wav files is recommended
- Remove Background Noise in Audacity: https://youtu.be/bur7PJrvKgQ