Visiting UWM Libraries’ Distinctive Collections
Making an appointment for the American Geographical Society Library (AGSL), UWM Archives, and Special Collections
Our Distinctive Collections, located in the Golda Meir Library (2311 E. Hartford Ave., Milwaukee), are now open by appointment only. This approach will ensure social distancing, and allow staff to clean high touch surfaces and equipment and quarantine collection items after use. We appreciate our users’ continued support and patience. For questions and FAQs regarding general library services, click here. Please continue reading for information on how to make an appointment in one of our Distinctive Collections, what to expect during your visit, and what services are available.
Appointments can be scheduled for either morning (9am-noon) or afternoon (1:30pm-4:00pm) blocks on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only. Visitors are welcome to arrive at any convenient time during their scheduled block.
To schedule a visit, please fill out the APPOINTMENT REQUEST FORM. Requests must be submitted at least 48 hours in advance of a proposed visit.
- After submitting your request, you will receive an email message from one of our staff confirming your appointment and instructions for your arrival. If we require more information, we may schedule a video consultation with you.
- The use of some materials, such as film, audio, and microfilm, may require more lead time to prepare. Consequently, we may need to reschedule some appointments.
- Our reference staff are always available to assist with your research needs. If you do not need to consult materials in person, please contact the relevant department to receive remote reference assistance.
- All reading room services are contingent on staff availability.
Before Your Visit
Prior to scheduling your appointment, use our catalog and finding aids to determine the materials you wish to request. If you are not sure what materials you will need, please indicate this in your appointment form and a staff member will reach out to you for more information.
- For the safety of all our staff and researchers, capacity in each area will be limited.
- Individuals may stay until the end of each time block but must vacate the library at the end of the block for staff to perform necessary cleaning and preparation for the next appointments.
- If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email our staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
The Day of Your Visit
Please be respectful of our staff time and the time of other researchers using our collections, and arrive early for your appointment time.
Users are expected to follow UWM’s COVID-19 Safety Practices and Guidance for Visitors. Face masks are required to enter the Golda Meir Library and must be worn at all times while inside the building. If you do not bring your own, one will be provided for you.
- You must bring a photo ID.
- When you arrive, a staff member will meet you at the first floor Welcome Desk inside the Golda Meir Library and escort you to the appropriate department.
- Wash your hands after arriving to the collection you are visiting. Hand sanitizer will be available for use. If you use hand sanitizer, please rinse your hands thoroughly before handling collection materials as the residue may cause damage.
- You will be assigned a table that is distanced from the staff and other researchers. Do not move to another table.
- Researchers will only wear gloves when working with photographs and other objects as deemed necessary by staff.
- Use of public scanners and photocopiers is prohibited. You may use your own camera or mobile device to take photos of materials for research purposes.
Please know that shared surfaces are regularly disinfected. Materials will be quarantined as appropriate.