Visiting UWM Libraries’ Distinctive Collections
Making an appointment for the American Geographical Society Library (AGSL), UWM Archives, and Special Collections
Our Distinctive Collections, located in the Golda Meir Library (2311 E. Hartford Ave., Milwaukee), are now open on a walk-in and appointment basis. Currently, access to the general library is limited to the UWM community, so the non-UWM community will still need to make an appointment, however, we encourage everyone to make an appointment when possible. We will continue to follow UWM COVID-19 safety protocols of mask-wearing for unvaccinated individuals, hand washing, and social distancing. We appreciate our users’ continued support and patience. For questions and FAQs regarding general library services, click here. Please continue reading for information on our walk-in hours, how to make an appointment in one of our Distinctive Collections, what to expect during your visit, and what services are available.
Distinctive Collections Hours
- AGSL: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday, or by appointment during regular library hours.
- Archives: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday, or by appointment during regular library hours.
- Special Collections: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday, or by appointment during regular library hours.
For regular library hours, click here.
To schedule a visit, please fill out the APPOINTMENT REQUEST FORM. Requests must be submitted at least 48 hours in advance of a proposed visit.
- After submitting your request, you will receive an email message from one of our staff confirming your appointment and instructions for your arrival. If we require more information, we may schedule a video consultation with you.
- The use of some materials, such as film, audio, and microfilm, may require more lead time to prepare. Consequently, we may need to reschedule some appointments.
- Our reference staff are always available to assist with your research needs. If you do not need to consult materials in person, please contact the relevant department to receive remote reference assistance.
- All reading room services are contingent on staff availability.
Before Your Visit
Prior to scheduling your appointment, use our catalog and finding aids to determine the materials you wish to request. If you are not sure what materials you will need, please indicate this in your appointment form and a staff member will reach out to you for more information.
- For the safety of all our staff and researchers, capacity in each area will be limited.
- If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email our staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
The Day of Your Visit
Please be respectful of our staff time and the time of other researchers using our collections, and arrive early for your appointment time.
Users are expected to follow UWM’s COVID-19 Safety Practices and Guidance for Visitors. For unvaccinated individuals, face masks are required to enter the Golda Meir Library and must be worn at all times while inside the building. If you do not bring your own, one can be provided for you.
- You must bring a photo ID.
- Non-UWM community members: when you arrive, a staff member will meet you at the first floor Welcome Desk inside the Golda Meir Library and escort you to the appropriate department.
- Wash your hands after arriving at the collection you are visiting. Hand sanitizer will be available for use. If you use hand sanitizer, please rinse your hands thoroughly before handling collection materials as the residue may cause damage.
- You will be assigned a table that is distanced from the staff and other researchers. Do not move to another table.
- Researchers will only wear gloves when working with photographs and other objects as deemed necessary by staff.
- Use of public scanners and photocopiers is prohibited. You may use your own camera or mobile device to take photos of materials for research purposes.
Please know that shared surfaces are regularly disinfected. Materials will be quarantined as appropriate.