Music Library /

Music Library: Copyright – Organizations

Getting Permission

Permission to use materials, including music, must be obtained IN ADVANCE of the intended use.


Print Music

  • ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers. Includes a searchable database of songs and composers.
  • BMI, Broadcast Music, Inc. Includes a searchable database of BMI-represented composers and artists.
  • MPA Copyright Resource Center, a guide to finding who owns the copyright to acomposition. Includes a form that can be printed and submitted to the owner.

Recorded Music

Digital Materials

Most Internet Service Providers require that you ‘sign’ a non-violation agreement, also called “Terms of Service” or TOS. Here are a couple of examples of such agreements:

  • Google
  • UWM
    • yes, this means that you must have permission to use any copyrighted materials on your own pages. You can, and will, be stopped by campus computing adminstrators for violating this agreement.

Other Organizations

Reporting someone who has violated your copyright:


The Library of Congress Directory of Service Provider Agents lists contact information for all “Internet Service Providers,” including universities and colleges. (see “Case Law” for examples of how this has been used recently)


The College of William and Mary has created videos describing what it takes to make sure that you get paid for your music, whether it’s your own performances being played on the radio, or someone else licensing the music & recording it themselves.