Non-UWM Borrowers

Friends of the Golda Meir Library

Any person may join the Friends of the Golda Meir Library which is an association whose purpose is to foster awareness of the Library and to strengthen this valuable resource through community awareness and involvement in the Friends Organization. Applications to join the Friends of the Golda Meir Library are available through the Friends’ webpage or at the Main Circulation Desk.

The Friends of the Golda Meir Library are extending complementary library privileges to new UWM alumni. Benefits are good for one year following graduation. To receive a borrowing card, recent graduates should present a copy of the email announcement from the Alumni Association along with their photo ID to staff at the Libraries’ main circulation desk.

Family Members of UWM Faculty/Staff

Immediate family members of any faculty/staff member employed at UWM are entitled to a Library Special Permit card. This card allows the individual to check out library materials. Immediate family members include spouses, domestic partners and children over the age of 18. Interested family members can apply for permit cards at the Main Circulation Desk and should be accompanied by the faculty/staff member when applying for the Library Special Permit card.

The permit will be active as long as the UWM Faculty/Staff member is an active employee.

Milwaukee Area School Teachers

Teachers from public or private elementary, middle, high schools and colleges in Milwaukee and other school districts are eligible for a Library Special Permit card. This card allows borrowing privileges for the UWM Libraries general collection. A teacher needs to present a valid ID and a letter from the school administration verifying employment and end of contract date. The ID needs to be presented at the time of the application for the Special Permit, but the letter may be sent at a later time. The card expires at the end of the teacher’s contract but may be renewed with a new letter from the school.

Cooperative Access Program (CAP)

Faculty and staff at Marquette University and the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) are eligible for a free Special Borrower’s Permit.  More information about the program can be found on the CAP web page.

Osher Lifelong Learning

Members enrolled in the School of Continuing Education’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute are eligible for a Library Special Permit card from the UWM Libraries. Members should bring their Osher Membership card to the Main Circulation Desk when they apply for a Library Special Permit. The card expires when Osher membership expires but may be updated if the patron continues in the program.

Visiting Scholars

Any visiting scholars with a sponsoring department at UW-Milwaukee should request that their department follow the Sponsored ePantherACCOUNT Request procedure.

After this request has been processed, the visitor should bring documentation verifying their appointment to the ID office in the Union, Room 143, to get a UWM ID card made.

Once issued, the documentation and the ID card should be brought to the Main Circulation desk of the UWM Libraries to have it activated for use as a borrowing card.

UWM Emeritus/Retired Faculty

UWM Faculty/Staff who retire from service at UWM are eligible to continue borrowing materials with the same privileges as currently employed Faculty/Staff members. Emeritus and Retired Faculty/Staff should continue to use their UWM ID as their borrowing card.


Numerous libraries in Southeastern Wisconsin participate in the InfoPass program. When an item is not available from a user’s home library, an InfoPass allows the user to go to a participating library and check out up to three items with the InfoPass. An InfoPass must be issued electronically at a user’s home library, by library staff. The UWM Libraries will not loan out sound or video recordings, curriculum materials, periodicals, reference collections items, Special Collections items, equipment, and/or other noncirculating items. There is no limit to the number of passes a user may obtain in a year, though InfoPasses may only be issued for up to three items at a time. Users must present a library borrowing card from their home library as well as a photo ID in order to check out material from the UWM Libraries. InfoPass users may incur fines/fees if material is not returned on time or damaged.

E-mail Notification

All non-UWM borrowers must have an email address in order to receive borrowing privileges at the UWM Libraries. If your email address changes, please contact the Main Circulation Desk of the UWM Libraries at or (414) 229-4132. Failure to receive an overdue or service charge email because your email address has changed is not cause for forgiving a lost item fine.