Thank you for your interest in the New Directions and Meadows scholarships available to new incoming freshmen!
The application process for scholarships for the Fall 2017 freshmen class is now closed.
We will begin accepting applications for the Fall 2018 entering class in November 2017.
New Directions Scholarship
The New Directions program provides $3,500 for four to six exceptional freshmen enrolling in an undergraduate degree program within the College of Letters and Science (L&S) beginning in Fall 2017. If you continue to meet the grade point and credit load requirements, your scholarship can be renewed for three additional years – meaning you will receive support for all four years of your undergraduate education up to $14,000 total.
You are strongly encouraged to apply if you have an unweighted high school GPA of 3.75 or higher AND an ACT score of 27 or higher (or equivalent score on the SAT). Recipients also will have a strong record of extracurricular activities and academic and personal achievement. Please emphasize your achievements both in and out of the classroom on your application.
Meadows Fund Scholarship
The Meadows Fund Scholarship is given to an undergraduate with a major or intended major in a program offered by the College of Letters & Science. The student can be an incoming freshman or can be a continuing sophomore, junior, or senior. The scholarship ranges from $1,000 to $2,500 and may be renewable depending on academic performance and available funds. Applicants must have been in the foster care system, either currently or formerly, and must be a full-time student.
To apply for either scholarship, you only need to fill out one universal application form:
- Fill out the Application Form. Be sure to include the information listed below. (Note: current UWM students are not eligible for this scholarship; do not submit your personal information through this form.)
- Upload a 2 to 3 page essay on this topic: “If you were to start a new charity, what would be its mission and who would it benefit? Explain the rationale behind your choice.” (Word or PDF file)
- Upload a 1 to 3 page personal statement on how a UWM education will help you achieve your personal and professional goals. (Word or PDF file)
- Upload a copy of your high school transcript. If you have already sent your transcript as part of an application for admission to UWM, you DO NOT have to upload your transcript.
- Upload one letter of recommendation from a teacher or high school counselor who is familiar with your academic potential.
- A list of five honors, awards, work or volunteer experiences that best represent your accomplishments.
The deadline to apply is 11:59 pm March 1, 2017.
Awards will be made around April 1, 2017.
Please send any questions to Assistant Dean Deanna Alba, email@example.com, or call (414) 229-2923.