Majors & Minors

Q: How do I choose a major?
A: Selecting a major is a process that evolves over time. Students are encouraged to explore their options by taking a variety of classes freshman year, taking a career development course, meeting with a career counselor at the Career Development Center, and talking with friends, family and faculty to understand the reality of different jobs. In order to graduate in a timely manner, students are encouraged to find their major by the middle to end of sophomore year.

Q: What is a Committee Interdisciplinary major (CIM)?
A: CIM is a self-designed major. Students who are typically attracted to the CIM often have very specific academic or career interests that can not be adequately addressed through one of the more standard departmental majors. Students are required to secure a faculty committee to guide them in the development of a major proposal. The CIM structure requires that students take courses from at least two departments within the College of Letters and Science.

Q: When should I declare my major?
A: In order to graduate in a timely manner, students are encouraged to find and declare their major as soon as possible, no later than the middle to end of sophomore year. Some majors have a specific sequence of courses that must be completed prior to formally declaring the major.

Q: How do I declare a major?
A: Students should visit the individual program’s web site to learn their process for major declaration. Some programs allow you to declare online while others require a visit to their main office.

Q: What is an “intended” major?
A: Students who are not yet eligible to declare a major formally may declare an intended major. The declaration of an intended major is encouraged as soon as a student finds s/he is interested in a particular area so that the department can contact the student with information about programs, awards, job opportunities or other information of relevance to students majoring in that field. Students may declare an intended major by completing the Intended Major Form or picking one up in Holton Hall, Room 142.

Q: Is a minor required?
A: No, a minor is not required. Only about 25% of the students in Letters & Science choose to earn a minor.

Q: How do I declare a certificate program?
A: Students should contact the coordinator of the certificate program they are interested in to sign up for the program.