Q: How is my UWM grade point average calculated?
A: Only coursework taken at UWM is included in your UWM grade point average. Your UWM GPA takes into account the grade you received and the number of credits of the course. See the UWM Grading Scale page for a complete explanation of the point system used to calculate the GPA.

Q: How do I make the Dean’s Honor list?
Letters and Science students who earn a semester grade point average of 3.75 or higher on at least 12 graded credits will be placed on the Dean’s Honor list. Letters are sent via email in February for Fall grades and in June for Spring grades.

Q: What is the best way to raise my grade point average?
A: As a general rule, the most efficient way to raise a grade point average is to repeat coursework in which you have done poorly. At the undergraduate level, only the highest grade earned will be counted into your official UWM grade point average. It is important to note that you may not repeat a course taken at UWM at another institution to raise your UWM grade point average. Grades earned at UWM take precedence over grades earned at other institutions. In addition, most, if not all, graduate and/or professional schools will calculate your grade point average based upon all attempts at each course. We suggest that you consult the UWM Course Repeat Policy for further information.

Q: Why am I on academic probation?
A: If your cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. This is a warning signal to you that you may be in jeopardy of being academically dismissed from UWM. You should see your advisor immediately. Students will remain on academic probation until their cumulative grade point average increases to 2.0 or above. Continuing students who are placed on academic probation and earn a semester grade point average below 2.0, will be academically dropped for one semester. Students who are permitted to enroll after any drop action are placed on Final Academic Probation. Students will remain on final academic probation until their cumulative grade point average increases to 2.0 or above. In addition, a student on final academic probation must maintain a 2.0 or higher semester grade point average. If the semester grade point average falls below 2.0, the student will be dropped from UWM for a period of two years.

Q: How do I get reinstated after being academically dropped?
A: Students who are academically dropped from UWM should make an appointment to discuss their situation with their academic advisor and may file an appeal to request reinstatement. Appeals will only be considered if significant and extenuating non-academic reasons can be presented. Students may be asked to provide verifiable documentation of medical- related or other circumstances.

Q: What does an F0 – F16 grade mean?
A: When reporting a grade of ‘F,’ instructors will also report a number corresponding to the student’s “week of last participation” in the course. This is the last week of the term for which there is documented evidence of the student’s participation in the course. A student receiving the grade of ‘F0’ would, therefore, be one who never attended or participated, whereas a student grade of ‘F16’ would signify completion of the entire term. The numeral for “week of last participation” will be reflected on unofficial transcripts, but official transcripts will only show “F.”

Q: How do I formally appeal a grade?
A: Please read and follow the steps for the College of Letters & Science Grievance/Grade Appeal Procedure.