Answers & Forms

I want to …

Transfer from another UWM school/college into L&S

Declare an Intended Major

Use this form if you wish to indicate your intent to declare an Letters & Science major but are not ready to formally declare a major. By listing your intent to major in a particular subject, you will make yourself known to the department and receive information relevant to that major such as scholarship announcements. NOTE: You will have to still formally declare the major later.

Declare an actual Major

Declare you major directly with the department. Visit the Department’s web site for the online declaration form.

Make a program change between weeks 1 and 8 of the semester (Add, drop, change grading options, etc.)

Many changes can be made on a self-service basis directly in PAWS up to two weeks after the start of a class. Between the second and eighth week of classes, students need to fill out the Registration Change Form and obtain written permissions.

Make a program change after the tenth week of the semester (Add, drop, withdraw, etc.)

Students are expected to have all program changes completed prior to the tenth week of class. Read the policy to understand the extenuating circumstances under which an appeal for a late change will be considered before completing any forms. The policy outlines the steps and forms to complete if you believe you meet the criteria for a late appeal.

Appeal a Grade

Return to UWM after being academically dropped

  • Students who have not attended UWM for at least one full semester who are looking to re-enter UWM after being academically dropped will need to re-apply for admissions. As part of the re-application process, students seek Dean’s Permission to re-enter by contacting their former academic advisor.Find your advisor’s contact info. If your previous advisor is not listed or if you do not remember the name, contact Deona Mickens.

Work with my advisor to get off of academic probation

Make an appointment with your advisor and review the documents below. Complete as much information as possible and bring it with you to your appointment. Please come prepared to discuss ways you have found to address the issues that caused you to be placed on probation.

Know how repeated courses and grades are handled

Know how incompletes are handled

Understand the difference between taking a course for a grade vs. taking a course for just credit

Learn about the maximum number of classes I can take in a semester

Learn about the maximum number of credits I can accumulate

Take classes at UWM and somewhere else during the same semester

Get retroactive credits for language courses

A student can receive retroactive credits by testing into a higher-level language class and completing it with a B or better grade. Up to 16 retroactive credits may be awarded for the classes that were skipped. For example, if a student tests into the third semester French course and completes it with a B or better, s/he may obtain credits for the first and second semester French classes that were skipped. Students should contact the appropriate foreign language department before the beginning of the semester to verify that the course that they are taking generates retroactive credits.

Please submit requests for Language Retro Credits after the grade has been posted in PAWS for the eligible course. Requests cannot be processed until the final grade is recorded.

Students can login to complete the form at: Student Form to Request Language Retro Credits .

Forms also may be submitted by advisors and language instructors on behalf of eligible students at:
Advisor/Instructor Form to Request Language Retro Credits .

Answers to other Advising Questions