Many thanks to everyone from the Center for International Education, English as a Second Language Program, French, Italian and Comparative Literature Department, the Department of Foreign Language and Literature, the Language Resource Center, the College of Letters and Science, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Stahl Center for Jewish Studies, and the Translation and Interpreting Studies who gave their time so graciously, whether planning, preparing, promoting, donating/securing/arranging prizes, recruiting participants and judges, setting up, decorating, tearing down, etc. A big shoutout to Kristin Pitt for serving as MC once again, as well as for working hard behind the scenes on logistics.
Chancellor Mark Mone attended the event. He very graciously spoke briefly and then was joined by Provost Johannes Britz to shake the hands of the winners. Dean Rodney Swain served as a judge for the individual entries along with MJS food critic Nancy Stohs and Rocket Baby Baker owner Shannon Trenholme. Judges for the team entries were Brendan Fleming (a UWM Spanish and Global Studies alumnus) with Aramark, and Stephanie Collins and Samantha Henneberry with Colectivo (thanks to Amy Callahan for setting up and maintaining this 3-year collaboration with them). Through the efforts of several faculty members, we had a great array of prizes.
2016 Winner Prizes
|2016 Individual Prizewinners||2016 Team Prizewinners|
|1. Mckenzie Ross: Gluten-free Black Forest cake (Germany) – Cafe Bavaria Basket & Growler Coupons|
2. Luke Mariani: Baklava (Lebanon) – Rocket Baby Basket & certificate for loaf of bread each month for a year
3. Hannah Blija: Alexander Cake (Latvia) – Egyptian Papyrus print (& notebooks), donated by Caroline Seymour-Jorn
4. Will Schmidt: Strudel (Austria) – MKE Movement Basket & 3 Personal Training Sessions
5. Alexis Maylan Haney: German Pancakes (Germany) – Baking Basket
6. Madeleine Carroll: Hörbiger Torte (Germany) – Baking Basket
7. Shane Mueller: French Apple Tart (France) – Alliance Française Basket & Membership
|1. Kejia Huang & Abbey Palmer, Team Bei-waukee Bakers: East Meets West Pound Cake/ Zhōng Xīhébì (China & US) – Glorioso’s Basket & Cooking classes for 2
**The Bei-waukee Bakers also won the People’s Choice Award! – Lowlands Basket & Gift Certificate
2. Sophie Keehan & Daniel Pawlowski, Team JEDi: Black Forest Cake (Germany) – Larry’s Brown Deer Market Basket
3. Samantha Herron & Nicole Latzig, Team Beck: Cannoli Cake (Italy) – Sugar Maple Basket & Gift Certificate
4. Matthew Bramm, Katie Brubaker & Alexander Yundt, Team CIC- Italian Pizzelles (Sicily) – C-Viche Basket & Gift Certificate
5. Thamer Alhazmi & Abdullah Jawi, Team Mac Mamas: Blueberry Ricotta Squares (Italy) – Canni Painting Basket
6. Sara Hagen & David Wichlacz: German Apple Cake (Germany) – Carini’s Conca d’Oro Picnic Basket & Gift Certificate
7. Randall Coleman & Kristaleen Hernandez, Team Randaleen Machine: Lavender Honey Macarons (France) – Summer Refreshment Basket
From its very inception three years ago, the Language Resource Center has played an active role in the success of the Annual UWM International Dessert Competition, which has gained ever-increasing popularity among students, staff, and the community. This year’s event was held on April 18, a beautiful warm spring day, which was seemingly reflective of the atmosphere projected by participants, volunteers, and sponsors of this very sweet event! See you next year!
Dessert Competition Volunteers: Kristin P, Mingyu S, Caroline SJ, Isabel MI, Sandee S, Kathy W, Masako L, Barbara M-B, Anita A, Simonetta MK, Allegra T, Larry K, Bairbre C, Ester S-F, Caroline, Sarah DC, Sooyeon L.