Requirements to Declare a Major or Minor

Students will be eligible to declare the JAMS MAJOR or MINOR without completing an admissions appeal if they meet all of the following criteria:

  1. They have completed JAMS 101 and 201 with at least a 2.50 GPA in the two courses.
  2. They have an overall GPA of at least 2.50.
  3. They have at least 24 credits on their transcript, excluding credits obtained through examinations (such as CLEP and AP credits) and retroactive foreign-language credits. These 24 credits must include at least 12 credits taken in residence at UWM unless the applicant has completed a bachelor’s degree and is seeking an additional major or degree.

Students who meet the listed criteria should contact the JAMS office at 229-4436 or They will be assigned a JAMS advisor and schedule a meeting to complete the declaration process. The JAMS department does not declare new majors/minors during the week before classes begin in the fall or spring semesters or during the first two weeks of those semesters.