Are you an international student looking to improve your English and get involved outside of class? Get involved with the ELA Friends program.
Here in the English Language Academy, we understand that adjusting to a new language and culture can be challenging and intimidating. So, we provide different events throughout the semester that provide many benefits to you as an international student in our programs. Additionally, these events are accompanied by our ELA Friends mentors, native-English or high advanced (C1 level) non-native English speakers who seek to help you get acquainted with American culture, learn about Milwaukee, and practice your conversation outside of class. They also give you the opportunity to meet new people in Milwaukee and on campus.
All international students at UW-Milwaukee are encouraged to participate. This includes Intensive English Program (IEP) students, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students, and international students who are not currently taking English courses.
Our ELA Friends program provides the following benefits:
- Improve your English outside of your English language classes
- Meet new people – international and local, both students and community members
- Learn more about the culture here in Milwaukee and in the United States
- Gain volunteer experience (when there are volunteer events available) that can build your professional experience and that can be used on your resume*
(*Please note: Our English Language Academy Academic Assistant Director – IEP, Lindsey Hill, is willing to write recommendation letters for international students that are active and consistent participants in the ELA Friends Volunteer Program events.)
Some ELA Friends events in the past have included the following:
- Bowling at the University Recreation Center
- Nature hikes at local parks
- Downtown Milwaukee walking tours
- Virtual game nights
- Pumpkin carving in the Fall
- Volunteering for Make A Difference Day – a day set outside once a semester to help local community members with different needs, such as cleaning up their yards
These are just some of the many different opportunities that we participate in and provide, and each semester we are always looking for new and different opportunities to add to our list.
Looking to participate?
Check out our upcoming ELA Friends events here. Please note that some events require a small fee or registration. If you have any questions about this program, please contact our Program Assistant, Lallie Kuske, at firstname.lastname@example.org.