Are you an international student looking to improve your English and get involved outside of class? Get involved with the ELA Friends program.
The English Language Academy provides different events throughout the semester that provide the following benefits:
- Improve your English outside of your English language classes
- Meet new people – international and local, both students and community members
- Learn more about the culture here in Milwaukee and in the United States
These events are organized by our ELA Friends volunteer mentors, native-English or high advanced (CEFR C1 level) non-native English speakers who help you learn about the American culture, learn about Milwaukee, and practice your English conversation skills outside of class.
All international students at UW-Milwaukee are encouraged to participate. This includes Intensive English Program (IEP) students, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students, and international students who are not currently taking English courses.
Examples of past ELA Friends events:
- Bowling at the University Recreation Center
- Nature hikes at local parks
- Downtown Milwaukee walking tours
- Virtual game nights
- Pumpkin carving in the Fall
- Volunteering for Make A Difference Day – a day set outside once a semester to help local community members with different needs, such as cleaning up their yards
These are just some of the many different opportunities that the ELA Friends volunteer mentors organize, and each semester they are always looking for new and different opportunities to add to the list.
Looking to participate?
Contact us at email@example.com to learn more information. Please note that some events may require registration and/or a small fee.