SOIS Statement on Diversity
The UW-Milwaukee, School of Information Studies (SOIS) acknowledges and promotes the educational benefits that flow from having a diverse staff and student body that includes but is not limited to students and workers of differing race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, disability, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. The forgoing list is not meant to be exhaustive, as SOIS is respectful that broader approaches to the concept of diversity may benefit the SOIS community. The policy statement is not intended to exclude any person or group of persons.
SOIS Funding Resources
Dean’s Diversity Scholarship
The Dean’s Diversity Scholarship is open to all new and continuing IST undergraduate majors (part-time, full-time, onsite, online). You must be enrolled in a 3 credit IST course in the semester the award is granted and must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Consideration is based on recent academic achievement and application.
Award Amount: $1,000 Non-Renewable
Award Issued: Fall & Spring Semesters. Award subject to availability of funds.
Lorenzo Henderson Scholarship
The Lorenzo Henderson Scholarship is available for students in the BSIST program. This scholarship is awarded based on academic merit and financial need. Intended for members of racial or ethnic minority groups underrepresented in higher education within the UW System, with a preference in the following order: Native American, Latina, and African-American students. Preference for female students. Scholarship recipients will also be offered the opportunity for a paid internship with SOIS Tech for the spring semester.
Eligibility Criteria: Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress in the BSIST program with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. Students must submit FAFSA and supporting documents to determine financial need.
Award Issued: One awarded annually. Award subject to availability of funds.
External Funding Resources
WLA Diversity Scholarship
WLA Foundation awards a scholarship to a student of African-American, Latino/Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or Native American/Alaskan Native descent who has been admitted to a master’s degree program in library and information science at a Wisconsin school for the coming academic year. Recipients are selected by UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee in alternate years.
ALA Spectrum Scholarship Program
Through the Spectrum Scholarship Program, the American Library Association affirms its commitment to diversity and inclusion by seeking the broadest participation of new generations of racially and ethnically diverse librarians to position ALA to provide leadership in the transformation of libraries and library services. Note: UWM SOIS offers matching Spectrum Funding
- UWM Office of Equity/Diversity Services https://uwm.edu/equity-diversity-services/
- UWM multicultural student offices and center https://uwm.edu/global-inclusion/multicultural-student-centers
- UWM Accessibility Resource Center https://uwm.edu/arc/
- UWM Inclusive Excellence Center https://uwm.edu/inclusiveexcellence/
- UWM Women’s Resource Center https://uwm.edu/womensresourcecenter/
- UWM LGBT Resource Center https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/
- UWM student organizations https://uwm.edu/studentinvolvement/student-organizations-2/
- UWM Military and Veterans Resource Center https://uwm.edu/mavrc/
- A list of library and librarian organizations http://www.ala.org/aboutala/affiliates/affiliates/current
- A list of IT organizations on the Minority Professional Network http://www.minorityprofessionalnetwork.com/org/infotech.asp
- Top ten Women in Tech organizations http://www.womenintech.com/top-ten-women-in-tech-organizations/
- 5 great professional organizations for women in computer science https://www.bestcomputersciencedegrees.com/lists/5-great-professional-organizations-for-women-in-computer-science/