SOIS Statement on Diversity
The UW-Milwaukee School of Information Studies (SOIS) acknowledges the educational and social benefits that flow from having a diverse faculty, staff, and student body committed to inclusion and equity. The concept of diversity includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, disability, religious belief, and political belief. We welcome the opportunity to enrich our individual and collective experiences.
Diversity in Tech Education Scholarships
The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship is exclusively for students pursuing computer science, data science or information technology majors.
WLA Diversity Scholarship
WLA Foundation awards a scholarship to a student of African-American, Latino/Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or Native American/Alaskan Native descent who has been admitted to a master’s degree program in library and information science at a Wisconsin school for the coming academic year. Recipients are selected by UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee in alternate years.
ALA Spectrum Scholarship Program
Through the Spectrum Scholarship Program, the American Library Association affirms its commitment to diversity and inclusion by seeking the broadest participation of new generations of racially and ethnically diverse librarians to position ALA to provide leadership in the transformation of libraries and library services. Note: UWM SOIS offers matching Spectrum Funding
- UWM Office of Equity/Diversity Services https://uwm.edu/equity-diversity-services/
- UWM multicultural student offices and center https://uwm.edu/global-inclusion/multicultural-student-centers
- UWM Accessibility Resource Center https://uwm.edu/arc/
- UWM Inclusive Excellence Center https://uwm.edu/inclusiveexcellence/
- UWM Women’s Resource Center https://uwm.edu/womensresourcecenter/
- UWM LGBT Resource Center https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/
- UWM student organizations https://uwm.edu/studentinvolvement/student-organizations-2/
- UWM Military and Veterans Resource Center https://uwm.edu/mavrc/
- UWM U1.0: First Gen Initiation: https://uwm.edu/inclusiveexcellence/u-1-0/
- A list of library and librarian organizations http://www.ala.org/aboutala/affiliates/affiliates/current
- A list of IT organizations on the Minority Professional Network http://www.minorityprofessionalnetwork.com/org/infotech.asp
- Top ten Women in Tech organizations http://www.womenintech.com/top-ten-women-in-tech-organizations/
- 5 great professional organizations for women in computer science https://www.bestcomputersciencedegrees.com/lists/5-great-professional-organizations-for-women-in-computer-science/