Under the existing arrangement with InCommon, there is no end user charge for production certificates, and certificates can be used for all levels of service. The back-end vendor/Certificate Authority is Comodo. The certificates will work in all mainstream operating systems, web browsers, email clients, etc. All certificates are available for a period of one, two, and three years. Extended Validation (EV) Certificates are not yet available.
How do I request a Digital Certificate?
1. Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
Note: The CSR must be 2048 bit and contain the following fields:
- Country (2 character ISO code) – Example -> “US”
- State/Province – Example -> “Wisconsin”
- Locality – Example -> “Milwaukee”
- Organization – Example -> “UW-Milwaukee”
- Organization Unit – Example -> “SampleOrg”
- Common Name (Fully Qualified Domain Name) – Example -> “sample.fqdn.uwm.edu”
Visit Comodo Support for assistance in generating a CSR.
2. Submitting the CSR
Submit the CSR using your access code and UWM email address to the InCommon Certificate Manager.
- An individual’s UWM email must be used for the request to properly record ownership of the certificate.
- A shared mailbox, PantherLIST or other team email address can be added to the “external requester” field on the form for renewal notifications.
- The comments field should have a very brief description of the service and indicate whether the service is production, development or test. (Development and test services are limited to 1-year renewals.)
NOTE – Local Registration Authority Operators (RAO’s) reserve the right to reject certificate requests that conflict with the terms of the agreement with InCommon.
How do I obtain Technical Support?
Technical support and troubleshooting are being provided by Comodo via email, a web ticketing system, and telephone. Comodo’s support web site includes a Knowledge Base and step-by-step troubleshooting guide. Please note: You must register to take advantage of support.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (24×7)
- Web: support.comodo.com (24×7)
- Phone:+1-888-266-6361, +1-703-581-6361 (5:00 AM – 8:00 PM EST, Mon-Fri)
For questions not related to technical support, please contact the UWM Identity and Access Management Team (IAM).