Pick up your FREE Walk and Roll giveaway, either a reflective blinking light or an insulated cooler bag, in the Human Resources Office, Engelmann Hall, Room 125. Giveaways must be picked up by Friday, April 19th at 4:30 P.M.
The UWM Walk and Roll Challenge is a five week fitness challenge designed to promote wellbeing through physical activity. The Walk and Roll Challenge helps you understand and experience the health benefits of regular exercise. You can participate as a walker or a cyclist, either individually, or as a member of up to a three person team.
We hope to encourage physical exercise as an essential part of your every day. While the challenge is designed to be competitive in nature, the primary objective is to encourage you to get moving. Whether you are already an avid athlete, or are new to exercise, any movement should be considered a success. If you are starting this challenge as novice cyclist, look at the challenge as a way to challenge yourself to get on a bike more often. If you find that you are sitting most of the day, use this challenge to be more mindful of your movement. Walking and cycling are statistically proven to improve your health. Take advantage of this challenge to help you with your health and wellbeing!
New for Spring 2019
Two Categories of Competition
Walkers will compete against walkers, and cyclists will compete against cyclists. Walkers will log their daily steps and cyclists will log their daily miles.
For the Walk and Roll Challenge you may walk or cycle indoors or outdoors, on a treadmill, or on an exercise bike.
Prizes will be awarded to the top individuals and teams, in each category.
FREE Bublr Bike 30 Day Pass
If you participate in the challenge as a Cyclist, you will be given a free 30-day pass to use Bublr Bikes.
- How do I sign up for a Bublr 30-Day Free Trial Pass?
- Do I have to enter a credit card?
- What if I can’t download the Bublr app on my phone?
- How much can I ride?
- When does my 30-day trial pass start?
- Trouble signing up?
Other Prize Opportunities
How to Get Started
The Walk and Roll Challenge is open to all current UW-Milwaukee employees.
- First, decide if you’d like to participate as a walker or a cyclist.
- Then decide if you’d like to participate as an individual or on a team. Teams may be comprised of 2 or 3 members. All team members must participate in the same type of activity: walking or cycling.
- On the registration form you will need to enter your name, team name (if applicable), and your UWM email address.
- If registering as a team, only one person from the team will complete the registration form. They will need to enter the names and UWM email address of all team members, and the team name.
Track and Log Your Activity
Once you’ve registered, watch for Walk and Roll related emails. These emails will provide you with a link to the online logging tool and updates about the challenge.
Walkers will track their daily steps, and cyclists will track their daily miles. Please use a pedometer, cyclocomputer, or tracking app to get an accurate count of your steps or miles. More information about tracking devices is available on our Fitness Resources page.
Logging Your Steps
Every week you will receive an email with a link to the online logging tool. The logging tool is also available from this webpage (see below). Your steps or miles must be entered into the online logging tool in order to count for the Walk and Roll Challenge.
In the online logging tool you will enter your name, UWM email address, your team name (if applicable), and your steps or miles for the week. Once you have filled in your steps or miles for all of the weekday fields, the weekly total will automatically calculate.
The activity you enter will be automatically rounded off by the logging tool. Walking steps will be rounded to the nearest step, cycling miles will be rounded to the nearest tenth of a mile.
- 1000.5 walking steps = 1001 steps
- 12.25 cycling miles = 12.3 miles
- Each person must enter their own steps or miles into the online logging tool. Unlike registration, you cannot have one person from the team enter all the team member’s steps or miles.
- Please enter your name, UWM email address, team name (if applicable), and steps or miles accurately, to ensure that you receive credit for your activity.
- Your steps or miles for each week must be entered on one form submission. You cannot enter Monday through Wednesday, hit “Submit,” and then go back in later to enter Thursday through Sunday.
- You are entering your steps or miles in the logging tool on the honor system. Please track and log your steps or miles accurately. Do not merely estimate your steps or miles. Your accuracy serves to benefit you in your goal towards health and to promote a fair competition. Code of Conduct behavior is expected.