- Reporting a Death
- On Campus Death
In case of an on campus death, call University Police first as an emergency, by calling (414) 229-9911.
An “on campus death” refers to anyone dying on any UWM property. The University Police will notify the Vice Chancellors for Marketing & Communications and Finance and Administrative Affairs and will e-mail all contacts on the Non-Student Passing list. The Vice Chancellors will notify the Chancellor and Provost.
- Off Campus Death
A campus member may hear of an off campus death through a variety of sources: friend, family, a student, the news, an obituary, etc.
The campus member should contact the deceased person’s department supervisor/chair (or designee) or the School/College/Division office to relay the information. These two offices are responsible for notifying each other.
- Work-related Death
If the cause of death may be work-related, any witness to the death should call University Safety and Assurances immediately at (414) 229-6339 for reporting and investigation.
- On Campus Death
- The First 24 Hours After a Death is Reported
- Appoint a coordinator (from the employee’s department). When an employee works in more than one department, the Division/School/College should decide which department is responsible for coordination.
- Assist the coordinator as needed.
- Notify UITS/other IT upon verification from the Department Coordinator.
- Determine the validity of the report and begin the death protocol.
- Print out the Death of an Employee Coordinator’s Checklist and use it to keep track of assignments to others and activities completed.
- Contact Central HR Benefits for a benefits contact name and telephone number for the family.
- Contact Central HR Payroll to coordinate final paycheck and/or leave payout.
- Facilitate communication between survivors and campus services such as Central HR Benefits.
- Contact the staff members within the department and other students or staff most directly impacted to make them aware of the death.
- Contact Central HR (when needed) for Employee Assistance Program consultation in addressing the needs of staff, faculty, students and the family affected.
- Contact the Dean of Students office and the Student Health and Wellness Center if the employee is a student.
- 24 to 48 Hours After a Death is Reported
- Initiate condolence communication to the family.
- Identify campus representative (i.e. representative of the Dean or Division Head) to attend on/off campus events.
- Work with the Department Coordinator and Marketing & Communications regarding the release of information and the development of an announcement to campus.
- Work with the School/College/Division Office and Marketing & Communications regarding the release of information and the development of an announcement to campus.
- Assess the need for memorial events.
- Collect information about on and off campus events.
- Determine arrangements and ensures notifications/invitations for attendance.
- 48 Hours After a Death is Reported
- Send a condolence card to the family of the deceased from the Chancellor.
- Send a condolence card to the family of the deceased from the Dean/Division Head.
- Ensure that the Human Resources Business Partner for the School/College/Division completes an HRS Job Change form for the employee.
- Arrange to have personal possessions inventoried and delivered to the estate representative.
- Arrange to have UWM possessions inventoried and retrieved from the estate. Use particular discretion as to the appropriate timing of this task. Contact University Safety and Assurances and the Office of Legal Affairs if any issues arise.