Tips to writing a good application
- Look up the essay questions on the application and use a Word document to create your responses before putting them in the Orgsync form.
- Take your time, edit, and review your responses.
- Ensure that you have fully answered the question that is being asked.
- Incorporate your personal experiences into your answers. This is what gives the reviewer a better idea of who you are as a leader.
- Never had a job before? Use personal class experiences or involvement that you have from involvement in student organizations.
Tips to having a great interview
- Visit the Career Planning and Resource Center. http://www4.uwm.edu/cdc/
- Practice your interviews with someone that will be honest about your performance.
- Read the position description, talk with current RAs, and reach out to your RLC/ARLC for tips on how to do well in the interview.
- Dress to impress.
- Dress pants/skirt/dress
- Button up shirt.
- Fixed hair and appearance.
- Prepare questions that you can ask during your interviews. This shows that you have researched the position and are interested.
- Remember to take a moment to gather your thoughts if you are at first unsure of an answer.
- Choose your words carefully and do not use obscenities.
- Think of examples that you could use to highlight your strengths, leadership, confrontation, diversity knowledge and areas of improvement.
- Be yourself and breathe.
Tips to having a great Group Process
- Don’t compete with other interviewees
- Be true to your opinions and style of leadership
- Keep in mind that University Housing is looking for a variety of different leadership styles.
- Give others a chance to shine
- Speak concisely and when you feel it is most important