Independent study is not a substitute for courses regularly available in the curriculum. Students who wish to enroll in independent study (History 199 for freshmen and sophomores; History 699 for juniors and seniors) must have a minimum GPA of 2.500 in all credits attempted at UWM. It is strongly recommended that students work only with faculty from whom they have previously taken classes. Students may not enroll in History 199 or 699 for work already completed.
Students must, after consultation with the instructor with whom they wish to work, complete the following Independent Study Form — doc, pdf. This form contains the details of the independent study proposal and it should be completed prior to the beginning of the semester. The supervising faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean must approve the proposal. Students may not enroll in Hist 199 or Hist 699 until after the supervising faculty member and the Department Chair have approved the proposal.
Note: History majors may take no more than six credits of the thirty-six required credits in History in independent study. History minors may take no more than three of the eighteen credits required in History in independent study.
The Department of History encourages eligible students to do internships for credit by enrolling in History 289 (freshmen and sophomores) or History 489 (juniors and seniors). It is, however, the student’s responsibility to secure an internship with an agency or organization; the Department does not place students in internships. Students should also arrange to have a supervisor oversee their work at the agency or organization.
Before securing placement in an agency or organization, interested students should begin by verifying whether or not they meet L&S requirements to enroll in an internship for credit. The prerequisites are:
- History 289 — lower-division course in History; 2.50 GPA.
- History 489 — junior standing; satisfaction of GER English Composition competency; 300-level or above course in History; 2.50 GPA.
The procedure for enrolling in History 289 or 489 requires the following steps:
- Student asks the Chair of the Undergraduate Affairs Committee to confirm that she or he eligible to enroll in History 289 or 489. Contact information for the current Chair of History Undergraduate Affairs Committee can be obtained from the History Department Office — email@example.com.
- The student downloads the Verification of Internship Form — doc, pdf, which must be completed and signed by the student and the agency or organization supervisor.
- The student submits the completed and signed Verification of Internship form to the Chair of History Undergraduate Affairs Committee.
- The Chair of History Undergraduate Affairs Committee assigns the student to an academic mentor among the UWM history faculty.
- The student and faculty member meet to discuss the internship program, goals, assignment, and form of assessment.
- Student and mentoring faculty complete and sign the Internship Contract Form — doc, pdf and ADD/DROP form as appropriate.
- Student submits the completed and signed Internship Contract and ADD/DROP forms to the History Office.
- Important: Students must enroll in History 289 or 489 by the end of the second week of the semester in which the internship will take place.