UWM is excited that you are considering one or more of our academic programs for Graduate School. The UWM Graduate School offers a limited number of application fee grants for applicants who have completed or are currently completing eligible graduate school preparation programs. Fee grants are currently available to U.S. citizens, permanent resident applicants, and students with DACA status who can document that they participated in one of the following eligible programs listed below.
More specifically, in addition to the application fee grant available to McNair scholars (see below for more information), the Graduate School has initiated a new UWM Graduate School Panthera Application Fee Grant Program for the current admissions cycle to support applicants who have completed or are currently completing one of the following graduate school preparation programs:
Eligible Graduate School Preparation Programs
- Department of Education Pathways Program
- NIH Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD)
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers at Phillips Academy Andover
- NSF Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- NIH Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- NIH Post-Baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP)
- Public Policy and International Affairs Junior Institute (PPIA)
- NIH Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF)
- NIH Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- MCH LEAP Programs
- NIMH Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA)
- Cientifico Latino Graduate Student Mentorship Initiative
- Karsh STEM Scholars Program at Howard University
- The Leadership Alliance
- Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD)
- HBCU Scholar Recognition Program
- UW-Madison Summer Research Opp. Program
- UWM STEM-Inspire Program
This is the final list of eligible programs for the academic year 2022-23 application cycle. If you have suggestions of programs for consideration for next year’s cycle, please provide them here so they can be reviewed for consideration for inclusion in the future.
If you have participated in any of the eligible programs, please apply for a Fee Grant within the Panthera online application system. When you apply to UWM, in the Panthera online application, you will see the following explanation of the procedures for requesting the UWM Graduate School Panthera Application Fee Grant:
If you have participated in multiple qualifying programs, you only need to upload a verification document for one qualifying program. The UWM Graduate School will verify your eligibility and may consult with the program to which you are applying before approving the fee grant.
- Choose the appropriate program from the drop down list below to indicate the eligible program in which you have participated.
- Confirm your eligibility by uploading a document from the qualifying program or organization that is on official letterhead from the qualifying program or organization that shows you were a participant or member. This verification must be a PDF, signed by the program, and include your full name, as well as the contact information for the program. (You may need to request a statement of verification from your qualifying program or organization).
- In order to ensure consideration, please submit your application including your request for a fee, grant and all supporting documents at least ten (10) business days before the program deadline. Requests submitted after that may not be processed before the deadline.
The Graduate School only provides fee grants for applications in the UWM Graduate School Panthera Online Application.
These application fee grants are made possible because of philanthropic contributions to the UWM Foundation Graduate School Application Fee Grant Fund.
McNair Scholars will continue to receive an application fee grant using the procedure described here:
Students who have successfully completed participation in the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair) are eligible to have the cost of their University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School application fee covered with the submission of completed and signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver. No other documentation will be accepted to waive the application fee. McNair Alumni must submit the completed/signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver (PDF) within the Panthera application at least 7-10 business days prior to the application deadline. All applicants are responsible for making sure all documentation is complete, submitted, and approved at least 7-10 days prior to the application deadline. We are pleased to also offer a McNair Graduate Entrance Fellowship to McNair scholars who are accepted and enrolled in a graduate program at UWM.