UWM Graduate School Coronavirus (Covid-19) Information

In order to be socially responsible in dealing with COVID-19, the Graduate School’s physical office in Mitchell Hall, room 261, is now open during the following limited hours:

  • Monday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
  • Tuesday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
  • Thursday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Please practice social distancing, wear a mask, and follow the instructional signs when visiting us. In addition to our physical office hours, the Graduate School functions are still being performed virtually and we are here to support you. If you have questions or need assistance you can contact us through email at: gradschool-staff@uwm.edu.
Or set up an appointment with us at: uwm.edu/graduateschool/request-an-appointment/

For our graduate students who are interested in more information about the CARES grant and the UWM Emergency Grant funding please see the Dean of Students page regarding emergency grants.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Graduate Students and Programs Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updated August 25, 2020

This FAQ communication builds on the Campus COVID-19 Academic Continuity Plan and expands it to address emerging questions specific to graduate education. Please also see UWM’s Campus Reopening website for additional information about the 2020-21 academic year.

A. Recruitment | Applications | Admissions

A.1 Will graduate recruitment continue as before?

The Graduate School will be recruiting virtually in the fall at graduate school fairs held by universities across the country.

A.2 How about graduate campus tours? Will they continue as before?

The Graduate School plans to resume limited campus tours at the beginning of the fall semester. When they are scheduled, tour registration will be made available on our Graduate School Visit webpage. You may also explore campus with our virtual tour.

A.3 Will graduate applications and admissions processes be modified or interrupted?

Applications and admissions will continue as usual without interruptions. The office functions will be performed under limited hours (M, T, and Th from 10 am to 2 pm) with limited staff members. The Graduate Education office will primarily remain virtual and will be able to assist Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. via email at: gradschool-staff@uwm.edu, through a private Microsoft Teams chat at UWM Graduate School Appointments, or phone (414-229-6569).

A.4 I’m applying to UWM, but GRE or other standardized testing centers are closed in my area? What should I do?

The Graduate School does not require GRE or similar standardized test scores, but some programs do. Contact the program you’re applying to for more information. During this period, the Graduate School encourages programs to consider temporarily modifying, delaying, or suspending their requirements for standardized tests such as GRE, when justified. The GRE General Test from Home is available from home in selected areas. The GMAT Online is also available through December 2020.

A.5 Are applicants/students required to have their residency documents notarized?

During normal operations, we do require students to have their appeal and requests for consideration of extenuating circumstances documents notarized. Since the COVID-19 stay at home orders were issued in mid-March, we have waived that requirement and will continue to waive it until further notice, as long as it creates an undue burden for the student.

B. Classes | Exams | Defenses

B.1 How will Graduate student classes be handled in fall?

Fall classes will be offered online, face-to-face, and in hybrid forms that combine both online and remote learning. The UWM course catalog will indicate the delivery method of each class. For face-to-face and hybrid classes, instructors, program staff, and the managers of facilities will institute detailed safety measures, including limits on class size, distancing within classrooms, frequent cleaning, and required masks in all campus buildings. For more information, see UWM’s Campus Reopening website. For specific information about your classes, check with your program.

B.2 I had planned to defend my dissertation in fall. What should I do?

We encourage all students to defend their dissertations as planned, if possible. Consult with Doctoral Retention Advisor Shane Haensgen or your Graduate Program Director if you have questions about your timeline. The Graduate School encourages students and their advisors to discuss the possible impact of Covid-19 on research progress as early as possible. See below for more information on remote defenses.

B.3 Can a student or members of a doctoral or master’s defense committee participate in the examination remotely?

Yes. A defense can be conducted remotely, preferably by video conference. The student and any or all members of a defense committee may attend the defense remotely. Any committee member attending remotely must supply the committee chair with their vote by email. For doctoral defenses, they must also give the chair permission to sign the warrant in their place.

B.4 I need to defend my dissertation or thesis from a remote location, but the free version of Zoom limits meetings to 40 minutes. What should I do?

You can use Microsoft Teams through your UWM Office 365 account for the remote defense and invite your advisor and committee members to the teleconference meeting. Your committee members do not need to have Teams on their devices, but if they do not have Teams they will need either the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browser to join from their computer, tablet, or phone.

B.5 What will happen if I’m enrolled for credit in an internship, practicum, clinical placement, fieldwork, or some other off-campus activity that I can’t complete because of COVID-19?

Students will not have to re-enroll for credit and pay tuition for these activities again if they received a grade of Incomplete. Campus instructors should issue grades of “Incomplete” for students who have made sufficient progress, and coordinate with off-campus partners later to allow students to complete the placement and receive a final grade. An Incomplete (I) will remain on the transcript for a full year, at which point it will turn into a Permanent Incomplete (PI). The PI can be changed to a grade by the instructor of record for a further full year, and for an additional year after that by filing a Request for Exception with the Graduate School. At the graduate level, it will not automatically change to an F at any point.

B.6 Are there any changes to deadlines for graduation?

Normal deadlines for graduation apply. See the Graduate School’s Graduation Dates and Deadlines webpage for more information.

If you have questions about graduation deadlines, please write to:
Master’s and Certificate students: gs-graduationprocessing@uwm.edu
Doctoral students: gs-doctoralservices@uwm.edu

All requirements for graduation remain the same. For more information please see:
Certificate Toolbox

Master’s Toolbox

Doctoral Toolbox

B.7 Are students required to enroll in at least one credit in order to graduate?

The Graduate School will waive the requirement to enroll in at least one graduate credit for graduation for fall semester of 2020 and spring semester of 2021, subject to eligibility criteria specified in the Extension of Emergency Graduation Enrollment Accommodation.

Other graduation requirements apply, and students will still be responsible for the usual $40 graduation fee. International students should consult the Center for International Education to review any additional requirements for summer graduation.

Please note that graduating students will still be charged tuition for summer if they:
  • Choose to enroll
  • Need to enroll to meet program requirements for graduation
  • Need to enroll in summer to show enrollment status for financial aid or continuing student loan deferment
  • Need to enroll to maintain your international student visa status

B.8 Are there any changes to the limits on time to degree for graduate students?

The emergency time clock accommodation for graduate students in degree programs allows graduate students to extend their time to degree by one year in both doctoral and master’s programs. There is no extension for the relatively long time clock for graduate certificates. The preliminary examination clock already contains provisions for a one-year extension in extenuating circumstances, which can be used for students delayed by the COVID-19 emergency. Eligibility for emergency clock extensions requires entry into a UWM graduate degree program during or before Spring 2020.

C. Graduate Student Research

C.1 How will the response to COVID-19 affect graduate student research?

Research at all levels has been impacted by necessary limitations on travel and occupancy levels of facilities, and by the availability of personal protective equipment. UWM’s Office of Research is developing plans for reopening research facilities and guidelines for returning to field research. For more information and the latest updates, please see their COVID-19 Updates page.

D. Graduate Assistants

D.1 Are graduate students required to take furlough days

The Chancellor has excluded all graduate assistants from the campus furloughs.

D.2 Will Teaching Assistants have to teach in person in face-to-face or hybrid classes?

In fall 2020, UWM’s classes will take place in a mix of online, hybrid and face-to-face formats. Because large classes will meet online, many TAs assisting in large lecture courses will work entirely online. Many other smaller courses have moved online too. However, many courses cannot be moved entirely online, and teaching assistants in those classes may be required to provide in face-to-face instruction or to meet in person on campus. TAs who are sick, immune-compromised, or in a high-risk category and who are assigned to face-to-face teaching should discuss possible accommodations with their course leads, advisors, program directors, or other supervisors. TAs who face other obstacles to face-to-face work, such as childcare conflicts because of school closures, also should discuss possible accommodations with their supervisors. For more information on campus policies for student employees including graduate assistants, see the Employment section of the Campus FAQ. See also the Human Resources Coronavirus FAQ. For more information about leave provisions for graduate student employees, see the question about leave policies below.

D.3 I’m a Research Assistant or Project Assistant but I feel uncomfortable coming to campus to work when CDC recommends social distancing. What should I do?

UWM’s Office of Research has developed procedures for the safe return to limited research activities. See their Covid-19 Research Guidance and Resources page for more information on safety provisions, permitted forms of on-campus research, and necessary steps for reopening research labs and spaces. Research assistants may be required to work on campus as research facilities reopen. RAs or PAs who are sick, immune-compromised, or in a high-risk category should discuss possible accommodations with their supervisors. We encourage supervisors and PIs to meet with RAs and PAs by video or telephone whenever possible. For more information on campus policies for student employees including graduate assistants, see the Employment section of the Campus FAQ. See also the Human Resources Coronavirus FAQ.

D.4 What are the provisions for leave for graduate assistants such as TAs, PAs, and RAs, and for student hourly employees?

Graduate PAs, RAs, and TAs are eligible for leave by the terms of UW-System’s Interim COVID-19 Leave Policy issued March 17, 2020 and effective until December 31, 2020. Graduate assistants are eligible for up to 80 hours of leave. Student hourly employees are not eligible for this form of leave. Other forms of unpaid leave also may be available, such as those provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

E. Housing | Travel | Health | Technology

E.1 If I plan to live in university housing, what will happen in fall semester?

For more information on student housing, see the University Housing website, including the University Housing COVID-19 Information page. See also the Student Housing section of the Campus FAQ.

E.2 What can the Graduate School’s Travel Awards be used for while travel is restricted due to COVID-19?

All non-essential university-sponsored travel is prohibited through January 1, 2021 due to Covid-19, which includes most graduate student travel for purposes such as attending conferences. Limited exceptions may be made for essential travel, which must be approved by the dean of the traveler’s school or college. It is unlikely that the kinds of travel that the Graduate School’s Travel Awards support will be approved as essential. Any applications for Travel Awards for essential travel must be accompanied by an approved UWM Travel Exception Form.

Students may apply for virtual travel assistance from the Graduate School by submitting a Graduate Student Travel Award Application. This can include reimbursement for virtual conference registration fees for students who are presenting at the conference. Students must include proof that they are presenting in the Graduate Student Travel Award Application.

The Graduate Student Travel Award Application is also available by clicking on Graduate Student Travel on our funding webpage: uwm.edu/graduateschool/types-of-funding/

Please email gs-studenttravel@uwm.edu for question and assistance. For more information on travel and updates, see the campus Travel FAQ.

E.3 I’m concerned about my physical or mental health during this stressful time. Where should I go?

All graduate students have access to physical and mental health services through Norris Health Center. For more information about services there, see uwm.edu/norris/about-norris/faq/ Take care of yourselves, everyone!

F. Miscellaneous Student Questions

F.1 How do I access emergency funding for students?

The Dean of Students administers Emergency Grants with limited funding to help cover expenses for unforeseen emergencies, including hardships that result from the COVID-19 pandemic. These Emergency Grants are available to both undergraduate and graduate students.
The Dean of Students also administers the Graduate School’s Graduate Diversity and Inclusion Emergency Awards, available to qualifying under-represented, minority, and first-generation graduate students. Qualifying students who apply for Emergency Grants at the above link will automatically be considered for these awards.

Please consider contributing to the UWM Student Emergency Fund, which supports these Emergency Grants. Thank you for your generosity.

F.2 Can I temporarily suspend pursuing my degree due to certain COVID-19 related life events?

Yes. The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) Graduate School’s Academic Leave of Absence (ALA) policy allows graduate students to temporarily suspend pursuit of their degree goals in order to take care of certain life events. The policy may be most useful for dissertators subject to the continuous registration requirement, but it can stop the clock on time limit to degree for all students in doctoral, master’s, and certificate programs. The main goal of the ALA policy is to facilitate retention to graduation, without unduly prolonging time to degree. This is a temporary emergency policy to address expected increased need for leave during and after the COVID-19 crisis. This policy will expire at the end of the academic year in spring 2021 unless the Graduate Faculty Committee extends it or approves a permanent version of the policy.

F.3 Why am I being charged seg fees if I am an online student?

In Fall 2020, seg fees were lowered, and now all students, including online, are charged seg fees on some courses. Some online courses that are “Fee in Lieu of Tuition” (FILT) classes are still not charged seg fees. These will have the designation “LIEU” in the schedule of classes. There are now services available to online students who are paying seg fees.

Additional Links to Campus FAQs and Resources

Latest UWM Campus COVID-19 Information and FAQs (Includes sections for: Academics, Facilities, Cleaning, Coronavirus Health Details, Employees, Student Housing, Study Abroad, and Travel)

Center for Teaching and Learning

Center for International Education COVID-19 information

Contribute to the UWM Student Emergency Fund

Covid-19 Student Support Resources

Disabilities and Accommodations FAQ

Guide to Working Remotely

Office of Sponsored Programs Updates

Spring Graduation Updates

UWM Libraries Coronavirus Update


UW-System COVID-19 Resources

Virtual Student Union

Writing Center