Cooperative & Special Degree Programs

Multidisciplinary Committee-Directed PhD

The multidisciplinary committee-directed PhD program is designed to meet the needs of select, highly qualified doctoral students with unique needs and interests that cannot be met by a single existing program. The program crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries and opens new areas of instruction and research.

If you are considering this option, understand that although you must comply with all general Graduate School requirements for the PhD, your specific program of coursework, independent study, and research will be highly individualistic. Throughout the degree program, you must work very closely with your entire supervisory committee. This committee helps you select courses and activities designed to meet your goals, examines your progress at various phases (e.g., preliminary examination, dissertation proposal hearing), and assumes all the responsibilities of a department or program faculty in a conventional program. For more information, contact the Doctoral Specialist at

Exchange Programs

Exchange Program Registration

If you are considering taking courses under the Marquette or MCW exchange agreement, please be aware that their registration calendars are different from UWM’s, so it is a good idea to begin the process early.


If you need to apply as an non-degree student at Marquette, please do so as soon as possible. For information and a link to the application form, please visit the Marquette Graduate School Website or the Marquette Graduate School of Management website.


The Medical College calendar in particular is much shorter than UWM’s, and there is a significant fee for late registration. Spring registration begins November 1st and ends November 30th. If you need to apply for non-degree status at MCW to take a course, please do so as soon as possible.

Visit the MCW Admission Website for a link to the online application form; apply as a guest graduate student. If you need assistance with the process, please contact Angela Gord in the Registrar’s office at

UWM/Medical College of Wisconsin Joint Graduate Studies Program

The UWM Graduate School and the Medical College of Wisconsin each have accredited MS and PhD programs. Both institutions have entered into an agreement permitting students to take courses and use the library and laboratory facilities at both schools. This formal affiliation affords unique opportunities to the institutions’ faculties and students. Little duplication exists between the graduate degree programs of the two schools. Using the resources of both institutions results in programs that strengthen the educational missions of the two schools.

Approval must be granted by both institutions before you may participate in this program. For more information about the procedures for participation, contact Chris Parks in Graduate Student Services at 414-229-6332 or

Marquette University/UWM Cooperative Graduate Student Exchange Program

This exchange program enables graduate degree students in good standing to take courses that are not offered at their home institution without transferring and without any increase in tuition. Both institutions seek to help graduate students obtain appropriate coursework.

Approval must be granted by both institutions before you may participate in this program. For more information about the procedures for participation, contact Chris Parks in Graduate Student Services at 414229-6332 or

Minnesota/Wisconsin Reciprocity Agreement

If you’re a Minnesota resident, the tuition reciprocity agreement allows you to avoid non-resident tuition at UWM. Under the program, graduate students pay whichever state’s resident tuition rate is higher.

Applicants are asked to apply electronically. You can also contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 800-657-3866 or write to Reciprocity, Office of Higher Education, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108.

You may also contact the UWM Office of the Registrar at (414) 229-3796. A certification year runs from July 1 through June 30.

If you are not certified by the date fees are due, you must pay non-resident tuition and fees; the appropriate amount will be refunded upon certification by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.