UWM GIS Day Student GIS Project Competition Call for Submissions 2021
To encourage and award the contributions made by UWM students to the development of geographic information science and technology, the GIS Council at UWM will hold a student GIS project competition during GIS Day activities the week of April 12th, 2021. UWM students are encouraged to participate in this important event.
- All competition participants must be current students at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- The project could be a class project, a research project, or an internship project related to geographic information science and technology.
- For projects resulting from an internship, a letter from a direct supervisor should be provided to verify that most of the work was done by the participant and that the oral summary was written solely by the participant.
- Doctoral students are required to submit course work or research projects that are not related to their dissertation.
- Projects that were done in previous years are also eligible to participate in the competition if the projects were completed at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Appropriate projects include a traditional poster demonstrating a GIScience method, analysis, or development; a physical static map; a digital map or web mapping application; or any other project that meets the following criteria:
- The project addresses an important topic and effectively uses geospatial technology to analyze data and/or communicate information about the topic.
- The project demonstrates excellence and innovation in developing and/or applying theories and methods of Geographic Information Science and Technology.
- The project demonstrates high quality in overall communication of the project goals, accomplishments, and contributions to GIScience
Awards and Prizes
The following awards and prizes will be given:
- The Best Graduate Student/GIS Certificate Student GIS Project (Individual or Group)
- First Place – $300 and a certificate
- Second Place – $200 and a certificate
- The Best Undergraduate Student GIS Project (Individual or Group)
- First Place – $100 and a certificate
Group awards will be split evenly among group members.
Video Summary and Exhibition of Projects
Participants should prepare a 5–10-minute video summary of their project to present to the judges and GIS Day attendees. All projects will be on virtual display during the GIS Day Event.
Tips from Microsoft on how to turn a PowerPoint into a video.
A fellow panther gives some tips on shooting video with your phone.
Registration and Submission
All interested participants should enter through the UWM’s Panther Scholarship Portal before Monday April 5th, 2021 at 11:59 PM. No late submissions can be accepted.
You will upload your video as well as any files/links for your submission in the portal.
Judges including UWM faculty and GIS community members will review and evaluate the projects based on the video summary, materials submitted, and the above criteria. The award committee will select three projects as winners of the competition.
Winners of the competition will be announced during the GIS Day event.
Please contact the Student Competition Committee if you have any questions or would like to request accommodations:
Geospatial Information Specialist
American Geographical Society Library, UWM Libraries