The Mariele Schirmer Scholarship
This scholarship of $1,250 is awarded annually in the memory of Professor Mariele Schirmer, who taught both French and German at Wisconsin State College, one of UWM’s predecessor institutions. It is awarded to one French major and one German major every year.
Read more about this scholarship and access the application form here. Applications will be accepted through April 22, 2019, for the 2019-20 school year.
The Rudolf and Helga Kaden Internship Award
Through a generous gift from the Greater Milwaukee Foundation’s Kaden Fund, students can apply for awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. This award is intended to help UWM students obtain valuable practical experience at a German company (located domestic or abroad) by mitigating as much as possible the undue burden of additional expenses. The eligibility requirements for this award are:
- 4 Semesters of College German or its equivalent (Retro / AP / Transfer)
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Preference will be given to German majors, minors, and Business German minors
- You must have successfully applied for an internship at a German company that includes a minimum of 120 hours guaranteed over a four-week period or longer.
Click here for more details and application instructions.
Sword Scholarship for Study Abroad
Scholarships up to $2,500 will be awarded towards study abroad. Though preference will be given to UWM German majors, minors, and business German minors, other applicants will also be considered. The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- 4 Semesters of College German or its equivalent
- 3.0 minimum overall GPA
- Acceptance to a Study Abroad Program via UWM
- Preference given to German majors, minors, and business German minors
- Online application form
- A 500 to 800 word essay explaining what studying abroad in a German-speaking country will mean for you, both academically and personally, as well as information about your financial need and current support
- A recent transcript
Read more about this scholarship and apply here.