Web Site: people.uwm.edu/rghose/
PhD, Geography, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1998
MA, Geography, University of Montana, 1993
BA, Geography Honors, University of Calcutta, India, 1988
By appointment only
Geog 110 – The World: Peoples and Regions
Geog 215 – Introduction to Geographic Information Science
Geog 470 – Geography of South Asia
Geog 525 – Geographic Information Science
Geog 734 – GIS and Society
Geog 934 – Seminar in Urban Geography
MSP 780 – Transdisciplinary Research
Areas of Specialization
Geospatial data science and technologies, Internet of Things, Ethics in Data Science, Demography, Urban Studies, Environmental Science, Social Theory, Qualitative and Quantitative methods, Community-engaged Research.
In her research, Dr. Ghose examines complex ‘wicked problems’ through multi-disciplinary frameworks and an innovative mixed-method approach, to advance knowledge production and dissemination, to enhance public participation and to mobilize policy interventions.
Current Research Projects
- Precision epidemiology and the opioid crisis: Using next generation geospatial analyses to guide community level responses in diverse and segregated metropolitan areas. 2022. PI: Dr. J. Mantsch (Florence Williams Professor and Chair Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin), Dr. R. Ghose (Professor, Geography, UWM) and P. Brunzellle (Project WisHope). Funded by Foundation for Opioid Response Effort. $600,000.
- Structural Discrimination and Health Outcomes in Milwaukee at the Community and Individual Level. P.I. Dr. deRoon Cassini (Professor of Trauma & Acute Care Surgery, Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine, Institute for Health and Equity, Medical College of Wisconsin), Dr. J. Mantsch (Professor and Chair, Pharmacology & Toxicology, MCW), Dr. R. Ghose (Professor, Geography, UWM), Dr. L. Torres, (Professor, Psychology, Marquette University), J. Harris (Social Development Commission). 2022. Research funded by AHW Program, Medical College of Wisconsin. $200,000.
- COVID-19 related Social Media Disinformation and Health Impacts in USA (with graduate advisee A. Forati).
- Social Media Analysis for Assessing Environmental Inequalities during Hurricane Irma (with graduate advisee A. Forati and Dr. B. Dixon, University of South Florida).
- Status of Women in Geography: A Nationwide Survey, 2022. Sponsored by the SWG specialty group and the American Association of Geographers (AAG).
Past Research Projects
- Food Insecurity, Dietary Health Disparities and Community gardens as Spaces of Citizenship and Green Infrastructure in Milwaukee
- Bridging the Digital Divide through Public participation GIS, VGI, Citizen Science (20 years)
- Rural Gentrification and the Changing Landscape of Western Montana
- Citizen Participation and collaborative governance in the Neoliberal City
- Municipal GIS, E-governance, Smart City: Case Studies in USA and India
- Internet usage among Indian Diaspora