Internships benefit both students and employers. Students gain hands-on experience while exploring careers, and employers receive access to some of our best and most ambitious students. Close campus partnerships with area employers are vital to our mission, rewarding and mutually beneficial.
Internships are a way for students to:
- Gain career-related experience.
- Explore careers or solidify career choices.
- Increase knowledge and skills.
- Test classroom theories in the “real world.”
- Contribute to an organization/company.
- Network and make contacts.
- Earn 1 to 3 credits for some internship experiences.
- Get hired! Full-time positions were offered to 68% of interns, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers Internship and Co-Op Report 2020.
An internship program can assist you with your unique needs in several ways:
- Develop a customized plan to best meet your needs.
- Connect you with the students and student organizations you seek.
- Actively promote your brand on campus.
- Consciously strive to build a bridge between you and our faculty.
- Assist you with your diversity recruiting efforts.
Sign up – Students and Employers
- Go to https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/
- Click the blue button labeled University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 1Login
- Enter your UWM epantherID and password
- Answer the preliminary questions to set your career plan preferences.
- We recommend completing your profile first. Click on your name in the top right corner, then “My Profile”.
- Go to https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/login
- Click “Sign up here” on the upper right-hand side
- Click on “Are you an employer? Create an account here.”
- Complete the required information needed
- Request access to the UWM Employment Office
- Please allow 24-48 business hours for administrative approval
- Once your registration has been approved, you can then post internships.