UWM Police Offers Personal Safety Tips
The UWM Police Department helps to provide a safe and secure environment in which to learn, live and work. Here are a few tips to ensure your safety:
Be Aware and Alert
- Be aware and alert to what is going on around you.
- Stand tall, walk confidently, and make eye contact with those around you.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially when using a handheld device.
- Avoid walking alone at night. If you do not have anyone to walk with, set up a virtual safewalk.
- If you have been drinking, have someone walk you home or get a ride.
- Know where the nearest blue light phone is.
- Know the hours of B.O.S.S. in order to get around.
- Learn about campus safety and security: Read the Campus Annual Security Report.
- Download the UWM Mobile App and Rave Guardian app for easy access to campus safety resources.
- Program the campus police phone numbers into your phone: non-emergency number, 414-229-4627; emergency number, 414-229-9911.
- Keep doors locked, even if you are away for only a few minutes.
- Do not leave electronics, purses, wallets or backpacks unattended.
- Lock your vehicles to prevent theft of or from your vehicle.
- Never leave valuables in the passenger compartment of vehicles.
- Learn to protect yourself. Take a self defense course.
Story posted Feb. 19, 2022