Family and Friends Day Event Planning Guide
Thank you for considering hosting an event for Panther Family and Friends Day (Formerly known as Family Weekend) on Saturday, October 8, 2022.
Panther Family and Friends Day is an excellent recruitment and retention opportunity for our schools and colleges to engage not only with UWM students, but their support networks, alumni, local community members, faculty, and staff as well. We typically host about 1,500 attendees at Family Weekend each year, and are always looking to grow our engagement.
Panther Family and Friends Day Goals:
- Align Panther Family and Friends Day with the 2030 Action plan by showcasing all the great work we are doing
- Highlight how a UWM education is distinctive
- Showcase how radically welcoming UWM is for all students – embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Promote ways we engage our non-traditional and adult learners
- Spread the word about our incredible research opportunities and the groundbreaking research and entrepreneurship being done here
- Offer insight into our collaborations with the greater Milwaukee community
- And last but not least, have fun and create memories
General Event Information:
Date: Saturday, October 8, 2022
Location: All UWM Campuses
Deadline to submit event to calendar: Friday, September 9, 2022 12pm (noon)
Parking: Available for $3 (each in and out) in the Klotsche Pavillion Structure.
Structure: Attendees are asked to RSVP here: Panther Family and Friends Day RSVP. Walk-ins are allowed and attendees will not be required to go through a formal check-in process when arriving on campus.
Event Project Manager: Alyssa Conrardy, firstname.lastname@example.org | Email Alyssa with any questions, concerns, or advice needs.
Anticipated Attendance: Past attendance was typically around 1,500 attendees.
Marketing your event: External Relations has provided a marketing toolkit template to maintain cohesive branding for Family and Friends Day. You must be logged in with your UWM credentials to access the files. 2022 Panther Family and Friends Marketing Toolkit
If you have questions about updating the files or need assistance, please reach out to Alyssa.
- Host your event after the Prowl (Sponsor zone ends at 12pm) to engage maximum students, faculty, staff, alumni and community
- Create an engaging description for the schedule to attract attendees
- Make activities interactive for all ages
- Have giveaways or food available
- This is a great time to host open office hours or walk-in advising where families are able to join
- Host the event in your building or outside and post signage to help direct people to your event
- If event hosts would like to charge a fee to attend their event, they should utilize the University Tickets platform. Information on using University Tickets can be found here: https://uwm.edu/universitytickets/about/overview/
- Union Event Services has a couple of scanners available to rent. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Event hosts should track their own attendance and report back to External Relations for event summary
- Utilize social media and other channels to self-promote
- Communicate with alumni who are attending the Prowl about your event (if applicable)
- Recitals, shows, games, and other events already planned are encouraged to be submitted to the schedule. Any event happening through on Oct. 8 should be included!
- Student organizations are encouraged to host food fundraisers around lunch time
- View past event examples here: