Fall 2021 COVID-19 Updates

Fall 2021 COVID-19 Updates

Will students be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine?
UW System and UWM are not mandating vaccinations for students or employees at this time. However, vaccination is strongly encouraged as the best means to protect the health of students, faculty and staff. Read more

Do student still need to get tested on campus?
Students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated and do not have symptoms of COVID-19 no longer have to be tested.

UW System President Tommy Thompson has announced that fully vaccinated students and employees would be exempt from testing. UWM has been working since then with the Milwaukee Health Department to ensure that university policies and processes meet local public health guidelines.

As a reminder, UWM’s current policy requires COVID-19 testing every other week for students, faculty and staff who come to a UWM campus at least once per week. Milwaukee campus students living in residence halls must be tested weekly.

Students and employees who meet the testing criteria can get an exemption from that requirement by completing this form. Please note that someone is considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their final vaccine dose. A proof of vaccination is required, which could be a copy of the vaccination card or a copy of your vaccination record from the Wisconsin Immunization Registry.

Do students need to remain socially distanced on campus?
UWM updated its interim COVID-19 health and safety rules in June 2021 to continue to help limit the potential spread of COVID-19.

As part of the updated rules, social distancing is no longer required in indoor spaces. However, social distancing is encouraged wherever operationally feasible. Individuals, at their own discretion, are encouraged to remain at least 6 feet apart when possible. Read more

Are students required to wear masks on campus?
Fully vaccinated individuals are no longer required to wear face coverings in UWM facilities or outdoors, according to UWM interim COVID-19 health and safety rules updated in June 2021. Individuals may choose to continue to wear masks for many reasons; UWM encourages everyone to be respectful of individuals’ personal decisions and medical privacy. 

All unvaccinated individuals, including UWM students, employees and members of the public, must continue to wear face coverings while in UWM facilities. In addition, unvaccinated employees are required to wear face coverings in other enclosed buildings while on UWM business. Read more

Fall Welcome 2021
UWM’s Traditional Fall Welcome events will take place in 2021-22, but their order throughout the academic year will be a little different. This fall, UWM will welcome students back to campus with a Block Party on Friday, Sept. 10, hosted by the Campus Activities Board (CAB). Read more

Shuttle services to return this fall.
We anticipate the Prowl Line bus service and BOSS vans to return to normal service in the fall. Transportation Services will continue to emphasize health and safety and monitor state, city and university guidelines. Measures planned for the fall include:

  • A plexiglass barrier installed behind the driver’s seat.Vehicles cleaned daily with an electrostatic sprayer.
  • PPE kits in each vehicle.
  • Kits will include face masks, gloves and cleaning products.

Please note that some measures may be adjusted if public health and safety guidelines are loosened. Visit the Transportation Services website for updates.
If you have any questions, please contact Transportation Services:

  • Call (414) 229-4000
  • Send an email to uwmpark@uwm.edu
  • Chat over Microsoft Teams
  • Visit the office at UWM Student Union, WG25. Hours are limited to weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please remember that mask-wearing and social distancing guidelines are in effect at the union.

Read more on parking and transit.

University Housing Room Assignments
Because of the extra planning involved, students’ room assignments will be announced a little later in the summer than usual. It is expected that assignments will start to be released the afternoon of July 9 for those students who submitted their contract by the May 1 priority deadline AND have paid their $100 deposit. Contract preferences can be updated on the student’s MyHousing web portal through July 1, 2021. Look for more information later this spring.

Read more on University Housing.

Read more on UWM’s fall plans.