Transfer Students

To Transfer to UWM from another university

If a student wishes to transfer to the Intensive English Program at UWM from another program, please complete all five application steps and submit the UWM ESL Transfer Request Form. Part I of this form must be completed by the student, Part II must be completed by an advisor at the old school.

The ESL Transfer Request Form must be received before a transfer student can be accepted into the Intensive English Program.

  • If you have not already done so in the online application, please also provide your home country address and your U.S. mailing address.

Once the transfer student has completed all application steps, the ESL program will issue a welcome letter. The student is responsible for sending that letter to the old school and complete any transfer steps that school requires. Once the old school transfers the student’s SEVIS record to UWM (new school) ESL can issue an I-20.

To Transfer from UWM to another university without attending a full session

If a student transfers out of the program before attending classes that student must complete the following steps:

  • Email us at and notify us of their intention to exit the program
  • Provide home address in the United States
  • Submit a welcome letter from the new school
  • Pay the $300 transfer fee

Students have 30 days from entering the United States to transfer to a new school and begin classes.

The ESL program provides me many creative and interesting courses. Here, not only can I improve my English ability but I can also know more about American culture and society.”

Shihyun Peng, Taiwan