There are 3 steps in the application process. The application deadline is one month before the Session Start Date. Prospective students needing an I-20 should apply two or more months in advance. When an application is complete, it takes 10-15 business days to process for an admission decision.
Apply online at apply.wisconsin.edu.
- If you are an F1 student, please make sure to include your home country address when completing this application.
- Please be advised, if you answer “Yes” or “Other” to the question “Are you a U.S. Citizen?”, the ELA office may not receive your application. Please complete the ELA registration form as soon as possible so we know you are interested in the Intensive English Program.
Complete the ELA New Student Registration Form
Pay the non-refundable application fee of $160, either in person or online.
(Do not mail cash or checks)
If you need an I-20 to obtain an F-1 visa, you must complete two additional steps.
Send a photocopy of your passport via fax or mail, or bring it into the ELA Office in Curtin Hall, Room 672
Applicants who request an I-20 must show evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, fees and living expenses for full-time study.
- Proof can be in the form of an attested letter or statement from a financial institution showing funds in a checking, savings or money market account and/or a letter of award from a government or other sponsoring organization.
- If the funds are in foreign currency, please include conversion to U.S. dollars.
- Please see our Intensive English Program Costs page for more information
- If you have dependents that need an F-2 visa, they will also need to provide a passport copy and additional funding.
Transfer Students must provide a transfer form filled out by their current advisor.
Confirmation of Registration
The ELA Programs Office will confirm your registration once the application form, necessary documents and initial payment are received. Students who request an I-20 will receive a welcome packet of information via e-mail and instructions on how to apply for an F-1 visa. The I-20 Form will be sent separately.